Noticeable Changes to the set over the years

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the differently colored glass panes in Abby's garden only lasted for one year, and have just been colorless since then? I wonder what that's all about; David Gallo pointed out the panes were painted different colors to make it look as if different members of the community painted them while putting the garden together.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the differently colored glass panes in Abby's garden only lasted for one year, and have just been colorless since then? I wonder what that's all about;...
If I had to guess, I would guess that it the colorless panes would allow the characters to stand out more, rather than the focus being on the scenery itself.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the differently colored glass panes in Abby's garden only lasted for one year, and have just been colorless since then? I wonder what that's all about; David Gallo pointed out the panes were painted different colors to make it look as if different members of the community painted them while putting the garden together.
I never did noticed that. Great find D

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Remember how the first season had the generic beige background with trash cans outside of Ernie and Bert's apartment?

Last edited:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Remember how the first season had the generic being background with trash cans outside of Ernie and Bert's apartment?
Yep. Then it changed several years down the line. They would sometime show the trash cans but after a while they got rid of them. There's an episode where Bert thinks he sees Snuffy outside his window. I've always wanted to see that one. There's only audio for that show as of right now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Going through the Wiki, I've figured out the timeline for the gradual overhauling of the Arbor area during the late 80s/early 90s:

- Season 19: The backdrop behind the fence is completely replaced, and the brick alphabet facade is a textured structure at the beginning of the season. Also, the brick siding on Hooper's Store as well as 123 are also gradually built up with actual brick texture throughout the whole season. The trellis outside Hooper's side door is also downsized partway through the season.

- Season 20: The facade of the carriage house is replaced with actual brick texture (also, I think this is the season where Big Bird's next suddenly has partially torn-down brick walls and boulders around it).

- Season 21: The backdrop behind the fence fills in the empty patch of sky with the additional distant building, and the alphabet facade is fitted with a fire escape, and closed-off factory windows.

Last edited: