Non-singing guests

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I've checked and Steve Martin does sing although it it not nessecarily a song.

It's kind of odd that Spike didn't sing, because he has done at other times in his career such as in the Goon Show and on the Goon Show records. It's not much but it was singing. It's a long time since I've seen his episope though...

AAO

Reaction score
I've noticed that practically every guest has sang a song of some sort. Although my two favorite song numbers were Kermit and Debra Harrey singing "Rainbow Connection" in the back dressing room and the Muppets attempting to get John Cleese, who is a brilliant actor, to do a song.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Schreiber sang, it's just that his song didn't have English 'words' per se, just scat and nonsense, but it had a tune and Avery DID sing that tune.

Same with how "Ramblin' Guy" has a tune (not much of one) and Steve Martin sang that.

And Chris Langham sang "Hawaiian Cowboy" (again, words aren't in English, they may not be in anything, but whatever he was singing, he did sing it, save for a few spoken phrases near the end).

And Senor Wences, as Johnny, sang a (short) Spanish song.

It's interesting that Harvey Korman and John Cleese didn't sing on TMS, b/c both men can sing. Harvey sang on "The Carol Burnett Show" and John sang on "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and in some of the Monty Python movies and the film version of "George of the Jungle" (voicing Ape the ape, who sings "My Way" in a Las Vegas act at the film's end). Don Knotts, on the other hand, sang once or twice on "The Andy Griffith Show", but it wasn't his strong point. Comedy is Knotts's forte, and his singing was only good for comedy as well.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

D

Dil

I guess Edgar Bergen, Liberace, and Shields & Yarnell were unsungable on the show, too.

Comedy is Spike Milligan's and Jonathan Winter's forte, and their singing was only good for comedy as well.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
I seem to recall Sheilds and Yarnell singing "Make 'em Laugh" on the show

David French

Reaction score
Dil said:
I guess Edgar Bergen, Liberace, and Shields & Yarnell were unsungable on the show, too.

Comedy is Spike Milligan's and Jonathan Winter's forte, and their singing was only good for comedy as well.
Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy accompanied the Muppets in the backstage number "Consider yourself"; Liberace sang "Has Anybody Seen My Bird?", an adaptation of "Has Anybody Seen My Girl?"

Spike Milligan DID sing "It's a Small World After All" in the guise of a person from the Hawaiian Islands.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
David French said:
Spike Milligan DID sing "It's a Small World After All" in the guise of a person from the Hawaiian Islands.
Yes and Spike's singing was certainly played for comedy in that number:wink:

D

Dil

According my mind, I believe Spike sang, but I think it's off-rhythm.

D

Dil

Some guest stars sang, others didn't.

(I think Peter Ustinov didn't even have ANY singing lessons at all.)

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
I seem to recall Sheilds and Yarnell singing "Make 'em Laugh" on the show
That was their closing number, but if you listen, only the Muppets are singing it.

I revised the non-singing guest list:

Season One: Juliet Prowse, Harvey Korman, Peter Ustinov, Phyllis Diller, Mummenschanz

Season Two: Don Knotts, Edgar Bergen (the Muppets sang "Consider Yourself and Charlie just made wisecracks during), John Cleese

Season Three: Spike Mililgan (arguably- he doesn't sing "It's a Small World" but toward the end, he hums it... before spitting out a ping-pong ball)

Season Four: Shields & Yarnell, Victor Borge, Jonathan Winters, Doug Henning

Season Five: Jean-Pierre Rampal, Wally Boag (he speaks some lyrics in the closing # but never sings them)

For the longest time I thought Brooke Shields didn't sing on the show, but she does actually sing the first two "I'm falling"s.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole