Nick at Nite Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
During the tenth anniversary marathon, there was a special called Those Nick at Nite Promos. I only caught the end of that special when it aired, and for years I have been looking for it online. And just a few nights ago, I found it.

Those Nick at Nite Promos - 10 Years of Better Living Through Television (Nick at Nite, 1995) - YouTube

It is fascinating. I was expecting a lot more introductions and linking footage (maybe I thought there'd be some intros for each promo). I could see a person tuning in late without knowing about the marathon or special and wondering why there seemed to be a very long commercial break (with most of them being for Nick at Nite programming).

I don't remember knowing about Dixie the Nick at Nite Pixie before. Seems a little fascinating. From what I've gathered, it seems she was only around for one or two years in the 1980s (before I even knew about Nick at Nite).

Another thing I have thought about recently: For a brief time in 1998, on Sunday nights Nick at Nite ran Rugrats and Charlie Brown specials back to back. These were shown during Nickelodeon's regular hours as well, but I wonder what the ratings were like, or if people thought "cartoons, even ones with adult appeal, are for kids and should not be on Nick at Nite". I also wonder if that was the mindset for taking Looney Tunes off Nick at Nite in 1992 and just running it on regular Nick hours.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Ah! Now I can take a moment longer to comment. Darned work and the having to do it!

As a kid, I grew up with siblings who were over a decade older than I was. Because of that, I was familiar with what people considered 'oldies.' Even so, I remember being just a little confused by Nick at Nite. Oh, I loved it! I did but I still had the awareness that these were more adult programs than say....You Can't Do That on Television...Mr. Wizard or Out of Control. But it was still great. It wasn't till my tween and teen years that suddenly The Patty Duke Show was something I could appreciate. Cheezy funny. Like The Facts of Life. Haha
Now its a little jarring to see the programs they air now. Its like..."NO WAY!!! But....thats not SO old.......or...is it?...AM I?! When the **** did that happen?!"
You and me both would really get along just great. I too grew up during the whole Nick at Nite when they showed classics like Mr. Ed, The Patty Duke Show, The Donna Reed Show, Dick Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Monkees, My Three Sons, Dennis the Mences, Lassie, Flipper and so many more. Even the 70's shows too like Mary Tyler Moore Show, Taxi, The Bob Newheart Show and The Brady Bunch.

My era of Nick at Nite was during I'd say 1993 through the early 2000's. I still watched a few of the stuff the came later on as well. Even other late 80's to early 90's sitcoms but during that it just wasn't the same anymore.

I missed getting to see Mr. Ed or My Three Sons or I Dream of Jeannie. Yeah I long for the days of when watching those shows were my go to when I was going to sleep (especially during Summer Break) those shows are what kept me watching into the night. Now at the time when it was on Nick at Nite I wasn't really into it. I would always turn it off. I do remember it would give me chills just hearing the intro. Creepy for me at the time. Sorry I'm talking about Alfred Hitchcock. No never was a fan but in recent years I've really have enjoyed watching it.

I have lots of those airings recorded. LOVE getting sit down and watch them sometimes. Such great memories of that era of Nick at Nite.

Erine81981

Reaction score
During the tenth anniversary marathon, there was a special called Those Nick at Nite Promos. I only caught the end of that special when it aired, and for years I have been looking for it online. And just a few nights ago, I found it.

Those Nick at Nite Promos - 10 Years of Better Living Through Television (Nick at Nite, 1995) - YouTube

It is fascinating. I was expecting a lot more introductions and linking footage (maybe I thought there'd be some intros for each promo). I could see a person tuning in late without knowing about the marathon or special and wondering why there seemed to be a very long commercial break (with most of them being for Nick at Nite programming).

I don't remember knowing about Dixie the Nick at Nite Pixie before. Seems a little fascinating. From what I've gathered, it seems she was only around for one or two years in the 1980s (before I even knew about Nick at Nite).

Another thing I have thought about recently: For a brief time in 1998, on Sunday nights Nick at Nite ran Rugrats and Charlie Brown specials back to back. These were shown during Nickelodeon's regular hours as well, but I wonder what the ratings were like, or if people thought "cartoons, even ones with adult appeal, are for kids and should not be on Nick at Nite". I also wonder if that was the mindset for taking Looney Tunes off Nick at Nite in 1992 and just running it on regular Nick hours.
I believe that Pixie was only during the early to late 90's era of Nick at Nite. I would say like maybe 90-96 but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes Nick at Nite did show Rugrats and Charlie Brown Specials. I have a recording of when they did a whole slue of Peanuts specials on Nick at Nite. Now not too sure which ones they are. I need to go over it just to see what's all on there.

Have you watched any of Poparena YouTube videos? If you haven't you need to. He's going over EVERY Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite show from all throughout each year.

His last video is all about Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon. Like how it came to be and why they never started showing it later on in the beginning of Nick. Like in the Sliverball era of the channel. If you already know this sorry for posting it.

But I too am fan of his videos. Can't wait for him to start talking about Heathcliff. One of my favorites of Nickelodeon late 80's early 90's.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I believe that Pixie was only during the early to late 90's era of Nick at Nite. I would say like maybe 90-96 but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes Nick at Nite did show Rugrats and Charlie Brown Specials. I have a recording of when they did a whole slue of Peanuts specials on Nick at Nite. Now not too sure which ones they are. I need to go over it just to see what's all on there.

Have you watched any of Poparena YouTube videos? If you haven't you need to. He's going over EVERY Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite show from all throughout each year.
I first got Nickelodeon in 1992, surprised I don't remember Dixie.

I remember being able to see Rugrats and Peanuts on Nick at Nite once (it was usually after my bedtime on Sundays), I recall seeing Snoopy's Getting Married Charlie Brown on Nick at Nite, can't remember which Rugrats episode I saw.

You mean Nick Knacks? I have started seeing those (and I think I was first aware of those via the Looney Tunes video), there's so many and I haven't had time to watch many in their full form so I have skipped a bit in the time on the videos, seems like in the case of reruns they focus more on the shows themselves as opposed to their Nick history (and maybe it's hard to really talk much about their history on Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I first got Nickelodeon in 1992, surprised I don't remember Dixie.
I've been watching Nick since 1987 or even later then that but I can't remember.
I remember being able to see Rugrats and Peanuts on Nick at Nite once (it was usually after my bedtime on Sundays), I recall seeing Snoopy's Getting Married Charlie Brown on Nick at Nite, can't remember which Rugrats episode I saw.
Like I said I do have a recording from a trade that has several Peanuts specials. I'll check and see and let you know if I find the one you said.
You mean Nick Knacks? I have started seeing those (and I think I was first aware of those via the Looney Tunes video), there's so many and I haven't had time to watch many in their full form so I have skipped a bit in the time on the videos, seems like in the case of reruns they focus more on the shows themselves as opposed to their Nick history (and maybe it's hard to really talk much about their history on Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite).
Yes those are the ones I'm talking about. Well if you haven't watched them all the way through then you are missing him talking about how long they aired on Nickelodeon. He says in each video during it when the show first premiered and when it last aired on the channel. Plus a few other tid bits.
Not doing this just to ask about trades but do you do trades. Physical trades or snail mail? I don't do any email or files like Cloud or other type of downloading files.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yes those are the ones I'm talking about. Well if you haven't watched them all the way through then you are missing him talking about how long they aired on Nickelodeon. He says in each video during it when the show first premiered and when it last aired on the channel.
I just got through the Mister Ed episode and didn't notice anything about that beyond talking about when it came to Nick at Nite and was on Nickelodeon's Summer Fan Club. Then I started another and saw that it lists its Nickelodeon run in text (as opposed to announcement). Still, if I did these, the Mister Ed one would have acknowledged that when it left the channel in 1993, it left with a marathon called Au Revoir Mister Ed (I'm thinking there was another show that got a marathon after leaving, but can't remember what), and I think if I was doing these, I would acknowledge the many marathons that Nick at Nite aired for the various shows (and maybe they will, I don't really remember any marathons for the other Nick at Nite shows that have videos here yet - though I also feel they're limiting the Nick at Nite coverage for shows that were also on Nickelodeon's regular hours). I did see that the Monkees one acknowledged that the show came back to Nick at Nite a few times, I only remember it on Nick at Nite for the 1997 block party summer (and unceremoniously, before that block party summer run ended it was replaced with Green Acres).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I just got through the Mister Ed episode and didn't notice anything about that beyond talking about when it came to Nick at Nite and was on Nickelodeon's Summer Fan Club. Then I started another and saw that it lists its Nickelodeon run in text (as opposed to announcement). Still, if I did these, the Mister Ed one would have acknowledged that when it left the channel in 1993, it left with a marathon called Au Revoir Mister Ed (I'm thinking there was another show that got a marathon after leaving, but can't remember what), and I think if I was doing these, I would acknowledge the many marathons that Nick at Nite aired for the various shows (and maybe they will, I don't really remember any marathons for the other Nick at Nite shows that have videos here yet - though I also feel they're limiting the Nick at Nite coverage for shows that were also on Nickelodeon's regular hours). I did see that the Monkees one acknowledged that the show came back to Nick at Nite a few times, I only remember it on Nick at Nite for the 1997 block party summer (and unceremoniously, before that block party summer run ended it was replaced with Green Acres).
Yeah I do understand what you mean by him mentioning other things that went on during it's run but for the most part it's just talking about how the show came to be and how that later on it ended up on Nick or Nick at Nite.
If he were mention how many times they did a marathon of a certain show it might would be even longer and most people watching might not want to stay around to finish said video.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don’t think talking about all the marathons of a different show would be that long or big a deal. Many of the shows did have multiple marathons (and I’m not counting shows that got a Block Party Summer night), but I don’t think they got a ton of marathons.
Some examples I recall: Happy Days had a marathon to launch the show on Nick at Nite which included a spotlight on real-life Cunningham’s, then in 1997 there was the “Chachinated or de-Chachinated” marathon which added season 7-11 episodes to the channel. And I think those are really the only Happy Days marathons.

The Odd Couple got a marathon for when it came to the channel (and I don’t think the marathon had anything special), then in 1997 there was the “Odd Couple on Ice” marathon, showing skaters with Felix and Oscar heads, and the actual actors appearing as sports commentators (admittedly, I have not been able to find footage from this marathon online), and I think that’s it for The Odd Couple.

the Bob Newhart Show started with a marathon (I heard that one actually included every episode), then there was a “Roger Healy and Howard Borden: together at last” marathon spotlighting Bill Daily’s characters from TBNS and I Dream of Jeannie (and I have a feeling I got his Jeannie characters name wrong), and then when Newhart was added in 1997, there was the Bob’s Bob Bob Newhart Newhart marathon which contained episodes of all three Bob Newhart sitcoms that had come before then (plus a series of “shows Bob never made” promos).

despite its popularity, I think The Brady Bunch actually only had two marathons, one coming before the show was even on the channel. The release of The Brady Bunch movie in 1995 led to Nick at Nite running a week-long marathon of all the Brady shows (when it wasn’t even part of the regular schedule), then in 1998 it came to the regular schedule starting with a week-long marathon that had the cast members claim that there was a lost Brady.

I don’t think talking about the Nickelodeon marathons would add too much more time to the videos, but of course that depends on why they want to talk about (and maybe if they have access to footage from various marathons or marathon promos).

Maybe it would be fun if eventually they do a video about the various marathons and publicity stunts (and I mean ones that aren’t for just one particular show, like when Nick at Nite did the String-a-Thon or 25 of the 100 Greatest Episodes in 1997, or Casey Kasem’s annual classic TV countdown). Nickelodeon had marathons as well (like the various Thanksgiving marathons or the 20th anniversary marathon).

And I guess maybe it’s better if there’s
Something really special about the marathon to show or talk about (but if there’s hardly anything to show or talk about, then that’s time saved).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I don’t think talking about all the marathons of a different show would be that long or big a deal. Many of the shows did have multiple marathons (and I’m not counting shows that got a Block Party Summer night), but I don’t think they got a ton of marathons.
Some examples I recall: Happy Days had a marathon to launch the show on Nick at Nite which included a spotlight on real-life Cunningham’s, then in 1997 there was the “Chachinated or de-Chachinated” marathon which added season 7-11 episodes to the channel. And I think those are really the only Happy Days marathons.

The Odd Couple got a marathon for when it came to the channel (and I don’t think the marathon had anything special), then in 1997 there was the “Odd Couple on Ice” marathon, showing skaters with Felix and Oscar heads, and the actual actors appearing as sports commentators (admittedly, I have not been able to find footage from this marathon online), and I think that’s it for The Odd Couple.

the Bob Newhart Show started with a marathon (I heard that one actually included every episode), then there was a “Roger Healy and Howard Borden: together at last” marathon spotlighting Bill Daily’s characters from TBNS and I Dream of Jeannie (and I have a feeling I got his Jeannie characters name wrong), and then when Newhart was added in 1997, there was the Bob’s Bob Bob Newhart Newhart marathon which contained episodes of all three Bob Newhart sitcoms that had come before then (plus a series of “shows Bob never made” promos).

despite its popularity, I think The Brady Bunch actually only had two marathons, one coming before the show was even on the channel. The release of The Brady Bunch movie in 1995 led to Nick at Nite running a week-long marathon of all the Brady shows (when it wasn’t even part of the regular schedule), then in 1998 it came to the regular schedule starting with a week-long marathon that had the cast members claim that there was a lost Brady.

I don’t think talking about the Nickelodeon marathons would add too much more time to the videos, but of course that depends on why they want to talk about (and maybe if they have access to footage from various marathons or marathon promos).

Maybe it would be fun if eventually they do a video about the various marathons and publicity stunts (and I mean ones that aren’t for just one particular show, like when Nick at Nite did the String-a-Thon or 25 of the 100 Greatest Episodes in 1997, or Casey Kasem’s annual classic TV countdown). Nickelodeon had marathons as well (like the various Thanksgiving marathons or the 20th anniversary marathon).

And I guess maybe it’s better if there’s
Something really special about the marathon to show or talk about (but if there’s hardly anything to show or talk about, then that’s time saved).
I would have to agree with you. There you go. Like I said you could do a Patron donation of getting him to do a special video where maybe he talks about a certain marathon or show you like and go more in depth with it being on Nick or Nick at Nite.

They also had Halloween Marathons or Halloween episodes of certain shows. I have not a complete airing of a Halloween from 1986 but it has You Can't Do That On Televinson, My Three Sons, Dennis the Menaces, Duckula and Today Special. Pretty neat recording.