New Spider-Man Animated Series in the Works

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
NewSpider-Man Animated Series in the Works

To anyone who might be interested:

I was looking over my latest AWN Newsletter, and I see this:

Mainframe Animates New Spider-Man TV Series

Being an Animation fanatic, I hopped over to the AWN Hub to get the whole deal. Here it is for you lazy people who just hate clicking links :wink: :

Mainframe Animates New Spider-Man TV Series

August 08, 2002

Vancouver, Canada-based Mainframe Entertainment, Inc. will provide the CGI animation production for Columbia TriStar Domestic Television (CTDT) Family Entertainment's new animated series, SPIDER-MAN, slated to premiere on MTV in winter 2002. According to Mainframe, this new incarnation of the Spider-Man series, featuring Peter Parker as a college student trying to juggle school, work, relationships and being a super hero, will feature CG animation processed to have a classic animation look, combining bright, abstract colors and including a realistic neon lit city. Mainframe has previously provided CG animation on the CTDT series HEAVY GEAR and MAX STEEL. Neil Patrick Harris (STARSHIP TROOPERS, DOOGIE HOWSER, M.D.) will voice Peter Parker/Spider-Man, with singer Lisa Loeb as Mary Jane Watson and BEVERLY HILLS 90210 alum Ian Ziering as Peter's pal Harry Osborn.

I hate Max Steele, but maybe this will be better. Wait and see I guess. Hope this is of interest to someone! :smile:

-Matt

UncleDeadly

Reaction score
Mainframe are also the people behind the great series "Reboot" and "Beast Wars: Transformers" (Beasties in canada). A good studio who do a really great job with CGI.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yeah, Mainframe is cool. From what I saw of Reboot I thought it was very good. I thought Max Steel was a disappointment, and I don't know how good a CGI Spider-Man series would be. But, since is claims there will be an integration of both conventional animation and Comp. Animation, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. In any case, Spider-Man still rocks! :smile:

-Matt

grail

Reaction score
i've seen a couple of the shots they've released, and i have to say...i'm not sure what to think. it looks promising, but the pics are small enough that it's hard to tell what i'm really seeing. from what i understand, though, it is CG but in 2 dimensions. like they did regular animation, but with a computer. the voice of Peter Parker is Neil Patrick Harris (yes, Doogie), Mary Jane is Lisa Loeb, and i THINK Ian Ziering is Harry Osborn. i'll try and find the screenshot i saw and put up a link, but it's gonna take some searching through the archives at Comics Continuum, so give me a day.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm....skeptical. But hopeful. The previous Spidey series' combinations of traditional and computer animation have been abyssmal--but after the recent movie, and with the new studio, it sounds like they may be throwing more money at the project.

I'm half-embarrassed to say that my favorite Spidey show is STILL "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends;" maybe I just need to get out of the 80's.

Quinnnnn

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
grail, can you link the page with the screen shots?

I always try to stay hopeful. I mean, the new Justice League on CTN isn't that bad in my opinion. I watched an episode yesterday I thought was pretty cool. The only problem there (to me) is the fact they build an episode reeeeally slow, and right when there is going to be some action, you get a TBC.. then the next episode is like 5 minutes of action, and a 20 minute "cool down" (hehe) But, that is off the subject.

Gonzo, my fav. Spidey was the original from the 60s. I think people need to stop living in today and get back into the past!

Oh, btw, did Mainframe do the CG parts of "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest"? I loved the original, but sadly the only good part about the Real Adventrues was the theme music. :smile:

-Matt

grail

Reaction score
first off...Spiderman and his Amazing Friends was the best cartoon ever! er...sorry, i stumbled on it yesterday on the family channel (or whatever it's called now). made my little brother watch it with me...it was cool.

yeah, i'll put a link up, but i have to find it first. i'm at work now, with nothing to do, so i'm about to start searching through their archives for the pics. when i find them, i'll post the link.

oh, and i think they DID do the JQ CG stuff, but i didn't like the theme music. as a trombone player, i like the ORIGINAL version of the theme better. with 8 trombones playing as loud as possible! you want some fun, do that live at a jazz concert...the audience goes nuts.

grail

Reaction score
okay, here's what i've found so far:

http://news.toonzone.net/spidey/spidey3d-1.jpg
http://news.toonzone.net/spidey/spidey3d-2.jpg
http://news.toonzone.net/spidey/spidey3d-3.jpg
http://news.toonzone.net/spidey/spidey3d-4.jpg

and here's an animated sequence (in quicktime):

http://news.toonzone.net/spidey/spiderman-preview.mov

these are from awhile ago, so i doubt they'll be what the show ACTUALLY looks like, but it kinda shows what they're looking for.

man, i forgot how much easier it is to dig through toonzone than comics continuum. even if Rob is a cool guy, he really needs a "search" function...

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yeah, I also prefer the original. But I like them both. I'm the bass player, so I can conform to just about any type of music. And I do just that. Anyway, off subject yet again.

We will await the screen shots of mighty grail!

-Matt

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Heh, it seems I'm late on my reply. Awesome, thanks for the post. Also grail check out

www.awn.com

probably the most professional animation website on the planet. Join the mailing list, stay updated. :smile:

-Matt