New Speed Racer?!

grail

Reaction score
so here i am, having been on an all-night MST3K bender (remind me to kill you later, Matt), i shut off the DVD player, and what do i see? a commercial for "new, never before seen" episodes of Speed Racer on something called "Nickelodeon Slam". Now, i pride myself on knowing about stuff like this, but this one has flown COMPLETELY under my radar. does anyone know anything about this?

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
The new speed Racer on Nick is basically, Japan's Speed Racer Y2K made in 1997. Nick picked up the show for their new boys block of programming and dubbed it in english.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
so here i am, having been on an all-night MST3K bender (remind me to kill you later, Matt), i shut off the DVD player, and what do i see? a commercial for "new, never before seen" episodes of Speed Racer on something called "Nickelodeon Slam". Now, i pride myself on knowing about stuff like this, but this one has flown COMPLETELY under my radar. does anyone know anything about this?
I know nothing about Speed Racer, but I did want to ask you about your MST3K bender? I was actually just watching Eegah last night. Have you heard of the MST3K Dap? If not, go to www.dapcentral.org. It's a on-line community of people who are digitally preserving and sharing MST3K episodes. I've currently got a binder with about 200 CDs of MST3K episodes. I watch an episode or two each week and love the series more and more as I do.

grail

Reaction score
Bean - ah, i see! that explains why the animation reminds me of Dragon Ball Z...you know that comic book-type animation? i was always a big Speed Racer fan, so i think i may have to try and find this thing. is it on the main Nick channel, or some satellite?

Gumby - i know communities like that exist, but i had not as yet had a chance to go looking for one. i think i may have to check that one out though, as all i have are a few of the Rhino episodes and the movie on DVD. Last night's fare was "The brain that wouldn't die", "The beginning of the end", "Eegah", "Manos: the hands of fate", and "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie". all while looking for the perfect Dr. Forrester pic for my new avatar, which i think i found.

then i walked around all day trying to hum the "haunting Torgo theme" and telling people "may your forehead grow like the mighty oak".

edit - i put this up, and then realised...i watched them in alphabetical order!!! i think i need help...

Joe

Reaction score
I saw the first episode (last week, missed this week)

all the characters were there (except spritle's monkey, unless I completly missed him) but it seemed as though they re-invented the story, modernizing things, changing other things. it just didn't seem right for some reason. I don't have much to go on though, hopefully it'll get better as it goes on.