New Pics: Jason Segel and the Muppets at the L.A. movie set

beaker

Reaction score
As far as posers go, they never really have the same feeling as the actual puppets being performed. I've seen some terrible posers in my day most of them were Cookie Monster ones... oh, the overdone shagginess.

Seeing Walter with a puppeteer, if only in pictures, really gives the character a greater depth than just a stuffed animal standing around. That crease caused by knuckles DOES give it a nose like quality, really improving on the overall Sesame Street-ish shape.
Well to me Kermit is always defined best by the contour of Whitmire's hand, and Walter does appear to have a similar sort of thin fabric wrapping to his head and face(meaning it's easier to see the creases and contour of the puppeteer's hand, than say a Fozzie or Bunsen)
You're right about how much more lively he seems now that we see his puppet and see him in more of the context.

I'm still a fan of posers, having grown up on Muppet Magazine from the 80's. I'm sad that(in my opinion) the Muppet Poser line for consumers don't look like truly authentic posers(aside from the Rizzo prototype)

Drtooth

Reaction score
It depends. I've seen some truly wonderful, full of life posers that actually fooled me, thinking the real Muppets were there, and I've seen some that have a dull, lifeless look to them. Sometimes it also depends on the pose. But again, there was a Cookie Monster they used a couple years ago I think this one where he looks like a cheap carnival prize. There are puppets, like Kermit, who get their subtle shape from the puppeteer's hand that just can't be replicated. I guess ones with stronger foam frames manage to have the same look.

Mupp

Reaction score
Oh I couldn't agree more. From the "Kermit and Fozzie talk to Cows"
Muppet Movie extra and the gang walking through downtown New York City in TMTM, to the segments of Pepe interviewing stars in From the Balcony...the Muppets always look amazing with a heightened sense of realism amidst a real world setting. The stagelot stuff works for stuff like Bear in the Big Blue House, Fraggle Rock or Muppet tv shows...but for a Muppet movie, most of it should take place in the real world.
Yup.
Which is why was disappointed that none of Elmo in Grouchland was actually filmed outdoors. :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yup.
Which is why was disappointed that none of Elmo in Grouchland was actually filmed outdoors. :frown:
I'm still offended that Oscar was barely in a movie about Grouchland!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yup.
I think that's one of several things I didn't like about the movie. The artificial look of the whole thing... it just was fruit colored and UGLY! Same problem I had with Muppet Oz... Really, that entire film looked like it took place in the world Kermit wasn't born from VMX... Follow That Bird's BEST quality was taking Big Bird out of the dusty old studio and had him walk around in the real world.

To me, the Muppets have been all about the suspension of disbelief. I know they're puppets, you know they're puppets... but when you see them performed... even in person with the Puppeteer staring right at you... they take on a life of their own and become REAL. And nothing supports that illusion better than taking them out into the real world to film. That's why I like Murray had a Little Lamb so much. He DOES stuff, and they're not afraid to get him dirty. Same thing with the Muppet Movie. They're more real for being outside and interacting with people. And I think they remembered that when making this film... least I hope so.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
These pics do seem to be a good sign that the movie may possibly be actually happening... I do still hope to be proven wrong, but knowing how Disney handles the Muppets, I still say there's a possibility that the movie could still be shelved before it hits theaters. But, I do still hope to be proven wrong.

So far, looks good. Still not too keen about Jason Segel's involvement... his movies are usually the same old "would-be comedian writes script with himself in mind, on a series of unrealistically slapstick misadventures" garb.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
These pics do seem to be a good sign that the movie may possibly be actually happening... I do still hope to be proven wrong, but knowing how Disney handles the Muppets, I still say there's a possibility that the movie could still be shelved before it hits theaters. But, I do still hope to be proven wrong.

So far, looks good. Still not too keen about Jason Segel's involvement... his movies are usually the same old "would-be comedian writes script with himself in mind, on a series of unrealistically slapstick misadventures" garb.
Please stop being so negative, it's happening, i mean come on, these celebrities wouldn't waste their time for NOTHING. :embarrassed:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For the thousandth time, I'm not being negative, I'm trying to be realistic.

beaker

Reaction score
I think it's normal for D'Snowth to feel a bit pessimistic, afterall...we all know the story of the dark crystal sequel and Fraggle Rock film...and well, the lip service we got over the years regarding a new Muppet film.

But once a live action film gets under way with Disney, and we actually see set photos and can just imagine the zealous passion of Jason Segal...well, short of world war 3 or a nuclear holocaust happening, this film will be coming out next year. And it's a good calculation, they know better now than to throw it into the forgettable August or Jan-March period. Or an overcrowded competitive may-july summer schedule to get lost in the shuffle. Hopefully we'll get a teaser before too long!