New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping for a new lineup of Muppet movies too. I liked 2011's The Muppets, except for some of the music, which seemed too frolicsome, and the continuity (The ACTUAL Muppet Studio was at Elstree Studios in London, not L.A. where the movie is set), but Muppets Most Wanted was kind of eh. I still liked how only THREE Muppets were able to recognize that Constantine was running the show until the tail end of the movie (most of them should've been able to tell right away from the accent and his questionable management, but no). It's still not going to be the same without Steve Whitmire, but I suppose life goes on. At least Dave Goelz and Louise Gold are still at it. So hopefully with a new show coming up and possibly new movies, hopefully a new input of ideas will go into them.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping for a new lineup of Muppet movies too. I liked 2011's The Muppets, except for some of the music, which seemed too frolicsome, and the continuity (The ACTUAL Muppet Studio was at Elstree Studios in London, not L.A. where the movie is set), but Muppets Most Wanted was kind of eh. I still liked how only THREE Muppets were able to recognize that Constantine was running the show until the tail end of the movie (most of them should've been able to tell right away from the accent and his questionable management, but no). It's still not going to be the same without Steve Whitmire, but I suppose life goes on. At least Dave Goelz and Louise Gold are still at it. So hopefully with a new show coming up and possibly new movies, hopefully a new input of ideas will go into them.
I absolutely loved The Muppets 2011 movie and Muppets Most Wanted you can tell they were made by people who get the classic Muppets from the 1970's and the 1980's! I think for whatever reason kids just don't get into the Muppets anymore but I don't think that is the fault of the movies that Disney has produced, I don't get it?

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
It may partly be their 2000's input, which did not have some very memorable movies (regardless of what everyone else thinks here), the direction the Jim Henson Company's going, or maybe kids or young adults these days are more into the adult humor, like Rick and Morty or The Simpsons. It's ironic because that's the kind of repertoire the Muppets are known for!

RealWonderman

Reaction score
To be fair, the 2015 series didn't really "fail" it just disappointed. It never reached the same numbers as it's premiere, but it was still over 5 million viewers, regularly, not accounting for DVD and online viewing. It was doing better than several other shows on the network, which were not cancelled. But, expectations were higher because it was The Muppets.

A big part of what happened was ABC had a new Network head come in and clear the slate of anything she didn't like, and one of those shows was The Muppets.

Personally, I love it. It still watch it on a pretty regular basis. It wasn't perfect, but it was never bad. And from Going Going Gonzo on, it was actually pretty great IMO...and there were some excellent episodes before that too (Walk the Swine, for instance.)

I wish they'd given it more time, because they really started to do great things with the Up Late with Miss Piggy show format (I still think it should be a real weekly late night talk show.)

I would be happy if the new show was a straight continuation of last episodes of The Muppets ABC, because the potential there was so clear!

Also, The Muppets never have been and never should be "for kids." The whole family? Yes. But there always have been, and always need to be adult themes that go over the kids' heads.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
To be fair, the 2015 series didn't really "fail" it just disappointed. It never reached the same numbers as it's premiere, but it was still over 5 million viewers, regularly, not accounting for DVD and online viewing. It was doing better than several other shows on the network, which were not cancelled. But, expectations were higher because it was The Muppets.

A big part of what happened was ABC had a new Network head come in and clear the slate of anything she didn't like, and one of those shows was The Muppets.

Personally, I love it. It still watch it on a pretty regular basis. It wasn't perfect, but it was never bad. And from Going Going Gonzo on, it was actually pretty great IMO...and there were some excellent episodes before that too (Walk the Swine, for instance.)

I wish they'd given it more time, because they really started to do great things with the Up Late with Miss Piggy show format (I still think it should be a real weekly late night talk show.)

I would be happy if the new show was a straight continuation of last episodes of The Muppets ABC, because the potential there was so clear!

Also, The Muppets never have been and never should be "for kids." The whole family? Yes. But there always have been, and always need to be adult themes that go over the kids' heads.
Couldn't agree more. I still watch it too my favourites are Going Going Gonzo, Swine Songs and Pig's in a blackout.
I wish they had a second season or just a one off episode to finish off the story.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
What bugs me the most is that it's obvious that they thought that this show would get a second season. Heck, they left a cliff-hanger at the end of the season with Piggy going to Thailand (if I'm correct) and such. If they were 100% sure that there wouldn't be a second season, they wouldn't write that ending. :search: :smirk:

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
What bugs me the most is that it's obvious that they thought that this show would get a second season. Heck, they left a cliff-hanger at the end of the season with Piggy going to Thailand (if I'm correct) and such. If they were 100% sure that there wouldn't be a second season, they wouldn't write that ending. :search: :smirk:
I agree. I hate it when they just end it with the cliffhanger. This happens to me with Hey Arnold and that video game Epic Mickey.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
To be fair, Hey Arnold got its conclusion, even if it took over 10 years.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
'Muppets' reboot
Another "The Muppets" reboot is on the way after ABC's more grown-up comedy series failed to impress fans in 2016. THR sources say Disney, which acquired The Muppets Studio in 2004, is planning a new TV series for its upcoming streaming service aimed at competing with Netflix next year. Details are scarce, but other rumored projects include a "Monsters, Inc." series, a "High School Musical" reboot, a "Mighty Ducks" TV show, and new versions of family films like "The Parent Trap," "Father of the Bride" and "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids."
So this is like the Muppets spoofing shows and movies and things like that? Sounds exciting. It's good to hear this will be more family-friendly. If I hear the Muppets singing 'Da** reputation' again-- GRRRRR!!! Sorry. I had to get that out of my system.

I'll agree matt as kermit talking normally is still a strange thing for my ears but when he sings he sounds fantastic
I think Matt's Kermit just needs to see the spotlight a little bit more. After all, other than those who went to the Hollywood Bowl, all we've seen Matt's Kermit in were basically online videos. Again, Steve's Kermit was pretty weak the first year or so. He just needs time to develop the Kermit voice and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.