New Muppet Motion Comics Preview

matleo

Reaction score
Some people will never be happy. I see one particular poster on here who has something negative to say about every piece of Muppet news.
I've noticed this too, and not just that it's negative but harshly negative. But I don't think about it too much since I've discovered the forums "ignore list" feature.

--Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well... sad thing is I kinda agree with Frogster, but not for those exact same reasons...

But you gotta admit, the motion comics take the most wonderful thing about them away. The sense of imagination. I dunno about you, but when I read these things, I do indeed hear the original cast in my head, mingling with the other performers of newer characters. There's just something magical about reading a comic book that motion comics fail to deliver, no matter how hard they work.

Plus, it makes you wonder if this is going to hurt the sales of the comics of some points. And... somehow, they don't really seem into it. From this preview alone, the usually flawless performances seem a bit flat.

Muppet babies took the characters and, in every sense of the word, made them 2-dimensional. I think Gonzo was the character who suffered the most here.
Yah see any cartoons in the 1980's? Ever see that He-Man thing? I dare anyone to watch that as an adult with a straight face. 2-dimensional is almost a complement. ( for something far worse, refer to Pink Panther and Sons... sorry, Yorick :insatiable: )

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think the big picture here is that if they use the comics that are already published then it will give the prefromers a chance to get a feel for more of the Muppet Show Muppets. Ones who have not spoke in a long time Robin, Scooter, Rowlf, the Band, and so fourth. It will also give the writers or such a chance to get back in the swing of skits such as "At the Dance" "Pigs in Space" and "Vets Hospital". This is really going to be getting more people interested in the Muppet Show and might even boost the relesse of Season 4. Who knows what this could lead to.

beaker

Reaction score
I like most of the new stuff and think Dave, Steve, Bill, Eric and the Muppeteers are doing a fantastic job. Some fans remember the Muppets of their childhoods and that's something that can't come back, but there are new opportunities for recasts and new characters too. Not all of them (cough Angelo cough) are 100% successful, but they're trying. The Muppets Kitchen has some great classic Muppet moments that echo the recent Muppets.com clips and I enjoy those portions. I think the concept will fade away and be forgotten once some of these more concrete projects are released. It's stuff like this and the motion comics that are smaller-scale ways to bring the Muppets back to the big time. I want to like all of it, but considering my extreme geeky fanboyishness...it's not likely to happen every time and that's okay. I come at the Muppets with a healthy measure of pragmatism and optimism. Yesterday is gone, but they're building some Muppety goodness today. There's enough variety for any fan to pick from IMHO. So...Angelo or no Angelo, lesser comic book artists or greater comic book artists...there really is something for us all!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "fans" who only or primarily see the Muppets as purely the 70's Muppet Show era/early 80's or "classic period" and refuse to enjoy or acknowledge anything post JH are not real fans. They are what continues the perception of "Oh the Muppets, they're old nostalgia". Personally I can't see how a Muppet fan couldn't be overjoyed with the content on youtube or muppets.com(but as you say, those skits NEED to be put on youtube or a more navigational format)

While I started watching the Muppet show at the very tail end of it's original series in the early 80's, it's really the 84-early 1990 period that I have the fondest memories of. To me the magic of that doesn't need to come back, because the magic continually evolves. And again, I never realized how much JHC was struggling in the late 90's-pre disney buyout with the brand...nor did I realize how ultimately beneficial the buyout would come to be(albeit 6-7 years later) But I know the patience will pay off, and a new "classic" era will emerge.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I've never seen anything like this before, maybe I'm out of the loop. However, I'm really impressed!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "fans" who only or primarily see the Muppets as purely the 70's Muppet Show era/early 80's or "classic period" and refuse to enjoy or acknowledge anything post JH are not real fans. They are what continues the perception of "Oh the Muppets, they're old nostalgia". Personally I can't see how a Muppet fan couldn't be overjoyed with the content on youtube or muppets.com(but as you say, those skits NEED to be put on youtube or a more navigational format)

While I started watching the Muppet show at the very tail end of it's original series in the early 80's, it's really the 84-early 1990 period that I have the fondest memories of. To me the magic of that doesn't need to come back, because the magic continually evolves. And again, I never realized how much JHC was struggling in the late 90's-pre disney buyout with the brand...nor did I realize how ultimately beneficial the buyout would come to be(albeit 6-7 years later) But I know the patience will pay off, and a new "classic" era will emerge.
My fandom might be different than many people on the forum. I made a very short pit-stop watching Sesame Street before quickly moving on to The Muppet Show. I still caught Sesame frequently, but TMS was always my uber-focus so I'd consider myself to be a nostalgic 70's fan of the Muppet Show characters. My first theatrical film was the Muppet Movie and I've kept up watching them all in the theater. I also kept up with all the shows and most of the specials. They were at their best in the late 70's/early 80's. I'd even admit that things went downhill in my perspective after The Muppets Take Manhattan, but that's all part of their evolution. Some factors of any entertainment troupe must change and grow or they will die, but they must remain true to their core mission and I think the Muppets have accomplished that. They should honor their roots in the 70's but they shouldn't try to recapture that magic because it will always come off as a pale comparison. They need to find their new magic and I think they've done just that after viewing the YouTube clips. I think the Muppets still have much to say and more singing and dancing ahead of them for those who want to watch. Those who don’t can enjoy the vast archive of Muppety goodness. :flirt:

Frogster

Reaction score
DrTooth and frogboy4... thank you for explaining how you guys feel in a very careful manner, and very constructive as well. It's great seeing fans who can admire certain new things while still being big-time fans of what it used to be like.

And I'm sorry to those of you who think the live-action comics and Cooking With Kat is the most innovative stuff you've seen. It's really not... it's actually reflecting even more poorly on the Muppets' part. And for those of you saying that I can't appreciate anything that isn't from the 70's or 80's, that's not entirely true, but it seems like that, with choosing the web as its new medium, they understand that the larger audiences are pretty much done with the Muppets, and that sucks. Yeah there's a movie planned, but I'm hoping the human actors actually treat the Muppets not as puppets, but Muppets. Ashanti, Jane Krakowski, and several others have had this problem. Throw us fans a curveball and have Steve Martin or Michael Caine appear instead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, in Ashanti's defense, it's not like she could act at all. I remember seeing a Sabrina the Teenage Witch with her in it, and she treated Melissa Joan Hart the same way.

I just don't get motion comics at all, myself. Sure, these might be good if they work out exclusive sketches with Rogers... but I don't see it adding anything that the comics don't deliver themselves already. It's probably for people who can't find issues or don't wish to buy comics or something... it seems like a keen iPhone app or Youtube series, but I'm much rather looking forward to the actual comics that are coming out.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Do we know any more about these I really can't wait to see what these are like.