NEW Disney Marvel MUPPET comics!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Print media is dying and every publisher, even comics, are feeling the shift. A regular Muppet Magazine in print is highly unlikely.

I don't think these reprints will be lackluster. They're sending out press releases - it's definitely something they want to showcase.

The comics are not Disney's #1 priority now. It's the film. We're all going to have to employ a little more patience. No, they're not doing everything right the way I'd do it, but this is a time to be focused on the delicious donut rather than the hole. :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Print media is dying and every publisher, even comics, are feeling the shift. A regular Muppet Magazine in print is highly unlikely.
...which is basically my point. I don't see how magazines, single issues or multiple issues are going to go even further than the comic. I know it's waaaay too early to tell, but it really seems the best we're going to do on the magazine front is a one shot just before the movie, and they'll no doubt do the same with Cars.

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I might just grab the Cars one up because... as I said with the Muppet comics, it's only a boon to those who were unable to find them, or just didn't care. I dig Cars, but I didn't feel like grabbing every issue.

The comics are not Disney's #1 priority now. It's the film. We're all going to have to employ a little more patience. No, they're not doing everything right the way I'd do it, but this is a time to be focused on the delicious donut rather than the hole. :insatiable:
The problem with that is there's really not all that much Muppet media popping up right now. The movie finished shooting a while ago, sure... and Sesame Street is taping as we speak, so we might have to wait a while for virals to go back into production (and go back into production they SHOULD), I'd love to see that Halloween special get produced and air this year, but that's only kinda likely... other than that, there's no regular outlet for Muppet goodness other than maybe talk show appearances just before the movie. The comics were a great outlet for the characters, and now that's gone unless they have plans in the future... anything else has to weigh on the success of the movie, and unless they start starting the slow trickle of Muppets up again, the movie will go unpromoted.

That said, the Pixar stuff also makes no sense. TS3 made a bundle, Cars continues to do well, and the Incredibles were at least a nice little fan thing (they could have at least given that a good ending as well)... it seems this is mostly corporate, and they really need to turn this around.

If they pull the Darkwing license, though... I Will be TICKED OFF TO THE MAX!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
...which is basically my point. I don't see how magazines, single issues or multiple issues are going to go even further than the comic. I know it's waaaay too early to tell, but it really seems the best we're going to do on the magazine front is a one shot just before the movie, and they'll no doubt do the same with Cars.

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I might just grab the Cars one up because... as I said with the Muppet comics, it's only a boon to those who were unable to find them, or just didn't care. I dig Cars, but I didn't feel like grabbing every issue.

The problem with that is there's really not all that much Muppet media popping up right now. The movie finished shooting a while ago, sure... and Sesame Street is taping as we speak, so we might have to wait a while for virals to go back into production (and go back into production they SHOULD), I'd love to see that Halloween special get produced and air this year, but that's only kinda likely... other than that, there's no regular outlet for Muppet goodness other than maybe talk show appearances just before the movie. The comics were a great outlet for the characters, and now that's gone unless they have plans in the future... anything else has to weigh on the success of the movie, and unless they start starting the slow trickle of Muppets up again, the movie will go unpromoted.

That said, the Pixar stuff also makes no sense. TS3 made a bundle, Cars continues to do well, and the Incredibles were at least a nice little fan thing (they could have at least given that a good ending as well)... it seems this is mostly corporate, and they really need to turn this around.

If they pull the Darkwing license, though... I Will be TICKED OFF TO THE MAX!
I just see so much impatience when we should be excited. Not every gap of silence needs to be filled with Muppets on the market. Give it time.

Disney Adventures, Wizard and Toy Fare Magazines got the axe. Regular print magazines are dying unless your Time, Playboy or Us or Vogue.

This country has ADD. Long campaigns for films and media are a thing of the past. Love it or hate it, think "Hop". Not the film itself of the poop jokes, but the marketing. 99.9% percent of the advertising was the month before the film and it's been doing great. We're going to see more of that model rather than the one for the "Adjustment Bureau" that had so many ads that people thought it was already on home video before it hit the multiplex and that didn't help its box office take.

I suggest we all take a breath and try to enjoy the things that are coming out now. No, they're not all fantastic, but it's all leading up to something that should be. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
BUMP:

Okay... this is due next month or so, right...

well, I checked out the Cars Marvel comic magazine, and I have to make a couple observations:

There WERE no added magazine advertisements (YAY)
The paper stock is decidedly inferior (meh)
It seems that they combined everything into one long storyline (but I need to double check)
They are offering a subscription (So that basically means more issues will be on the way)
and here's the weird news...

There are actually 2 Cars magazines (SAY WHAAA?!)

One is the Marvel reprint of the Cars comics from Boom... but the OTHER is an actual magazine with an adaption of the movie printed after the articles. Guess which one I saw at an actual not comic book store... that's right NOT the comic reprint. And I saw neither at the super market (but to be fair, that super market didn't have a big magazine selection... though I did see Phineas and Ferb, as well as a couple other Disney published titles).

So, I don't really know what to tell ya. Still, if the Muppet magazine reprints are a success and we get future issues, we're going to have to wait forever for the last arc.

I don't see why Marvel just can't publish them as a 4 part for the collectors first.

beaker

Reaction score
I bought the Tron Legacy magazine, and yeah...it was printed on cheapo paper...not at all like the usual nice slick glossy paper a lot of video game magazines are printed on. It's hard to even call these magazines, since Cars and Muppets are just straight reprints in a bigger size. No interviews, games, articles, ads...thats a magazine.

If we could just get ONE issue in the vein of Star Wars Insider, that'd be a literal dream come true.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the other Cars magazine was more of a Nickelodeon type magazine... it had articles ads for itself and a comic at the end (though it was a straight up adaption, like last years' Toy Story 3 magazine)... the Phineas and Ferb magazine was sort of like that to... articles and activities.

The Cars comic magazine was just a flat out reprint. Not even so much as a crappy kiddy crossword added to it. The fact they didn't add cheap little activities actually is a GOOD thing, but other than that, it's just the same stuff we've seen on inferior tabloid newspaper stock. Glossy, but sickly.

Again, yeah... this is great for all the fans who just didn't bother getting the comics or had no access to them... but other than that, I just don't see how this would have been any better than just reprinting the GN's with the Marvel logo.

Still, I'm thinking the Muppet license was married to the Pixar license, and they only intended on crummy reprints of Pixar comics. And again, anything happens to the Disney Afternoon license, I'm not bothering with comics anymore. I'll just subscribe to Mega Man and read the postal service mangled copies.

beaker

Reaction score
Well all Toys R Us' carry the Megaman(as well as both Sonic titles...btw, Sonic Genesis retro series comes out next month. Both Sonic and Sonic Universe have gotten rather amazing art/story wise) series, though I prefer the look of the 2003/2004 Dreamwave version.

If we get any sort of Muppets magazine, I will be pleased as a porcupine

Drtooth

Reaction score
IF and that's a huge IF we were to get a Muppet magazine that isn't just a reprint of stuff we already have on bad paper it would be a movie tie in ONLY. A one issue movie tie in with stock photos and cute little interviews or something like that. It would be no where NEAR the wacky wonderfulness of the Muppet Magazine of the 80's.

beaker

Reaction score
IF and that's a huge IF we were to get a Muppet magazine that isn't just a reprint of stuff we already have on bad paper it would be a movie tie in ONLY. A one issue movie tie in with stock photos and cute little interviews or something like that. It would be no where NEAR the wacky wonderfulness of the Muppet Magazine of the 80's.
And? We can't be nitpicking about every single thing. That would be simply wonderful. If it's just a straight reprint of the Boom titles, I'll pass. But if it's anything approaching a kid's magazine, I'll buy multiple copies. Been waiting 22 years for a new Muppet magazine, even if it's just one standalone issue.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And? We can't be nitpicking about every single thing. That would be simply wonderful. If it's just a straight reprint of the Boom titles, I'll pass. But if it's anything approaching a kid's magazine, I'll buy multiple copies. Been waiting 22 years for a new Muppet magazine, even if it's just one standalone issue.
Yeah, again, there are 2 Cars magazines... the reprint of Boom comics and the Cars 2 Movie magazine. Now, I'm not sure that there will be the same treatment for the Muppets... it would be great though. But other than that, the only one guaranteed is the straight up reprints. I mean, the reprints are good for everyone who just plain couldn't get the original issues, the reprints or the hardbound or soft cover graphic novel edition (if you waited that long, you probably didn't want it, though), but even a kiddy interview magazine would be much more interesting.

I am digging (just can't afford to pick up) the Phineas and Ferb magazines. A couple short comics, some fun articles... that's what I'd like to see. Even if it was a one shot.