New 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' TV series

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm eating the words about saying this will briefly appear at 6:00 AM Saturdays considering it's one of the 4 shows they have in rotation currently. Really hate that they give that honor to the new Justice League cartoon.

All I can say is, well... it's a step up from meh, but it really feels like something that should be on Netflix. It's weird that this is the only outside produced CN show that CN's giving any level of love. They usually kinda hated those after their obsession with Johnny Test, as if they finally got the hint. Sonic Boom was banished Boomerang and disappeared, after all. And I don't see where the heck Robots in Disguise Season 3 is going to go, and they already have those toys on the shelves waiting to be marked down to make room for "The Last Knight" movie merch.

As someone who really didn't like the first movie until like the third viewing, but actually likes the superior sequel (know that movie "The Circle" coming up? Saw the trailer and whispered to who I went to see Logan with "I liked this movie better when it was called 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2'"), I do enjoy the series. It's just...

The show caused me to headdesk after the first episode where the character Flynn wasn't supposed to meet until the first movie shows up, only for Flynn to tell Sam Sparks "Don't worry! If you ever move away I'll invent something to erase your memories." Now, I know that was probably a snide little aside to the fact that this show, while non-canonical, they're addressing the massive gaping plot hole. But I have to assume that was less a little gag and more of a "we're totally going to do that." Now, I forgave the Disney Hercules cartoon series for pulling that crap with Megara because they did it in a way that worked. But she was there for of all one episode. Sam Sparks is a major character in the series. Which brings me to my problem with the show...did it have to be a prequel series? I could see a perfectly good surrogate third movie type series that follows their future adventures working just as well. Not that the show is bad as a result, but I just don't care much for this. it's going to work for Hotel Transylvania and all (provided they don't pull the same crap with Mavis and her love interest), but it really prevents me from really liking the series that much. Jeez! They even had the strawberry from the second movie, the one dealing with the Food Synthesizer that doesn't even exist yet, let alone going haywire enough to create an entire island of Toriko style food animals. I'm trying to not be nitpicky, but it makes the show hard to get into. I'm also fifty fifty on the Canadian voice cast. They're good enough and all, but it's a shame that they couldn't have brought back some minor character's voice actor(s) like most of these tend to do.

On the plus side, however, I like how they're showing more of the father son dynamic that was just demoted to a lame "Well done, Son" guy in the first film (which explains why I have major problems with it). Instead of the whole "father and son don't have the same interests" cliche, they actually do something with it. And I also like the police officer in the show, and how he seems to take more after Terry Crews's take on the character rather than Mr. T's in the first (one of the things I like about the second better, as Crews was having more fun with it). Overall, not bad, but nothing I'm very compelled to watch.