New Characters

rexcrk

Reaction score
I never saw an episode of Muppets Tonight!, but I do like the new characters like Johnny & Sal, Pepe, and especially Bobo!

Marky

Reaction score
As soon as Clifford referred to himself as "Your Homey made of Foamy", I knew it'd be a stinker. The few precious Frank Oz moments were good, but too few, too late.

pepestarr

Reaction score
I really like the new characters. Pepe is my favorite character overall and I like Clifford, Johnny and Sal and Bobo.

Their are signs recently of perhaps them bringing back these characters. Crazy Harry had a biggish role in MWOO and even though Beau didn't speak he was seen quite a few times in IAVMMCM.

Also now the Electric Mayhem each had a line in MWOO. I know it isn't enough but its better than the previous 4 films where they didnt really say anything.

Lew Zealand has had quite a few lines in the last 2 films and even though Rowlf should had spoke at least hes appeared unlike Link Hothrob whos been unheard of since MFS.

MWoO

Reaction score
I never get why some people still want to see characters that have not been used since season 1 of the muppet show like Hilda. Apprentl;y Jim HEnson himself didn't think the character worked. There are some characters that just don't work and thus are never seen again. This happens still today. When was the last time we saw Andy and Randy pig? Not since MT because they didn't work. In fact in season 2 I don't think they were used, and if they were, it must have been a very limited use.

I think some of the new characters work quite well like Bobo and Pepe. bob is especially good because he can be the stupid bear and let Fozzie get back into cahracter which he has done recently. Pepe is basically the new Bean in that he represents the extreme of the muppets' adult side just as Bean was the extrene of the mupets cuteness.

Jonny works with Sal, but neither really work too good alone. Jonny can be ok alone, but not Sal. If used right they can be quite funny. Clifford can be too, but if used right.

While there are charactrers from MT that didn't work there are ones that did. It's just like the Muppet Show. All the characters were ne on that show expect Kermit and Rowlf and a couple got dropped and many tweaked. Same with MT. The problem is MT wasn't given enough time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
MWoO said:
I never get why some people still want to see characters that have not been used since season 1 of the muppet show like Hilda. Apprentl;y Jim HEnson himself didn't think the character worked. There are some characters that just don't work and thus are never seen again. This happens still today. When was the last time we saw Andy and Randy pig? Not since MT because they didn't work. In fact in season 2 I don't think they were used, and if they were, it must have been a very limited use.
Well, with Hilda, her performer, Eren Ozker, left after the first season, and I guess Jim Henson didn't want to recast her. I'm not sure if somebody thought she honestly wasn't working well or if it was just becasue of the absense of her performer. I'm sure that she would have been around for at least another year if Eren Ozker had stayed. Of course, we'll never know. I thought she worked well with other characters, and I'm sure she would have been developed better if her performer was on the show longer.

MWoO said:
Jonny works with Sal, but neither really work too good alone. Jonny can be ok alone, but not Sal. If used right they can be quite funny. Clifford can be too, but if used right.
I thought Johnny Fiama worked well without Sal in the alternate reality sequence from It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and I've read some comments from people thinking that sal worked well withut Johnny at Muppetfest.

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah, Jopnny worked well in the alternate reality, but his characterization was also different. As a lounge singer who needs ab ody guard, he works best with Sal, as some bartender who may or may not be sleezy he works good alone.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
MWoO said:
When was the last time we saw Andy and Randy pig? Not since MT because they didn't work.
Actually, the last time we saw them in a new production was Muppet Party Cruise, in the game Pig Party (I could be wrong with the title). They introduced the game and even appeared in the mini-game itself, something that was rare for any Muppet who either wasn't a playable character or didn't appear in the main game (either as a character who took away points or gave points).

I wouldn't mind seeing them again every once in awhile, but I also wouldn't be unhappy if they were not used again.

MWoO

Reaction score
I don't think that really counts. :stick_out_tongue: I mean an actual production. We also saw Digit, but he's not exactly around anymore.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
my thoughts on the new character

I have mixed feelings about the new characters. I liked the new characters, but thoguth that there were too many new characters on Muppets Tonight, and not enough old characters. When I first heard about the show, I was hoping and expecting to see many of my favorite characters, and wasn't even thinking about seeing newly-created characters.

When the first episode aired, I was happy to see so many classic characters at the beginning, but then was worried about seeing them all leave so soon. I liked seeing such minor characters as Pops and Louis kazagger in the background, but was still worried. Bunsen and Beaker did appear in one sketch, but that sketch was a flashback, and not actually in the present. I was also concerned about Fozzie, Rowlf, Scooter, and others not being in the first episode.

I was happy to see Fozzie in the Billy Crystal epsiode, and was actually surprised to see Sam in that episode, as he was one character I hadn't exected to see in that episode. I was releived to see Bunsen and Beaker have such a big part in the Tony Bennet episode, and then have a big part throughout the rest of the series, and I was relieved to see Lew Zeland and Beauregard make cameos in that same episode.

I feel like many of the new characters were replacements for old characters, and too similar replacements at that, too. David Hogsohog (and in a way, Captain Pighead) were really similar replacements for Link Hogthrob, Nigel the Director looked too similar to Droop (and had the same name as another classic character, Nigel the conductor), Spamela Hamderson seemed like a replacement for Annie Sue Pig, Bobo seemed like a replacement for Fozzie Bear and seemed very simialr to Rowlf in both look and voice (I've read that Bill Barretta based the characters voice on Rowlf's voice), Dr. Phil van Neuter seemed very similar to Bunsen (and looked like a cross between Bunsen and Beaker), Mulch (who actually did appear on The Muppet Show) seemed similar to Beaker (there should have been the occassional encounter between these scientists but there weren't any), and the Muppets Tonight band was an unneccessary replacement for The Electric Mayhem (The new band didn't really do anything different from what the electric mayhem did after Jim Henson's death). Recently, I've been thinking that Floyd could have easily had Zippety Zap's scenes.

Dave Goelz performed on this show, so Digit and beauregard could have had semi-big parts, Steve Whitmire was around so Bean should have had a bigger part (and Lips should have been used as well), Leon should have been there (so that Kevin Clash could have had another character), and Jerry Nelson was a major performer, but hardly had any regular characters besides Statler and The Bird Announcer. Lew Zeland, Floyd, Dr. Strangepork, and Robin should have all been somewhat major, at least.

I do like a lot of the newer characters. I really like Seymour, Pepe, Zippety Zap, Bill the Bubble Guy, Nigel the Director, and Dr. Phil van Neuter. I sort of like Bobo, Clifford, Mulch, Craniac, Johnny Fiama, Sal, Andy, Randy, Spamela Hamderson, and The Bird Announcer. I don't care much for David Hogsohog, captain pighead, Snorty, or Mr. Poodlepants.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
I am sorry for all you muppets tonight fans, but i apsolutley hated every bit of it, i HATED all the new characters, they were awful. It was the biggest mistake Henson company ever made. awful show, awful characters. And the show dosen't diserve to be compared to the wonderful Muppet show