New Book: "Memoirs of a Muppets Writer" by Joseph A. Bailey

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We'd like to encourage everybody to check out this GREAT new book "Memoirs of a Muppets Writer" by Muppet veteran, Joe Bailey. This is a must read and would make a great gift for any Muppet fan. There are some fantastic stories here that have never been told about how many of the most classic Muppet moments came to be (1970's Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, the albums - Bert and Ernie's Sing-Along and The Count Counts and more).

Find out all the info on the book and order your copy here.

Memoirs of a Muppets Writer

Memoirs of a Muppets Writer, a new book by Joseph A. Bailey, was recently released by Walnut Press. The book, which Mr. Bailey refers to as his "aspirational best-seller", recounts his experiences during the 20 years of his writing association with Jim Henson’s Muppets organization. It also details how he made the transition from Madison Avenue copywriter to television writer and how he became involved with the Muppets.

The book is a behind-the-scenes look at the early years of both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. It includes the author’s personal recollections of many of the key people involved with the creation of both shows, including writers, directors, producers, actors and puppeteers. He also describes the atmosphere of creative freedom and what’s been called the "benign anarchy" of the Muppet organization under Jim Henson.

Memoirs of a Muppets Writer is also a unique insight into early Sesame Street educational philosophy and strategies and how they translated into entertaining material for the show. It goes into great detail about the show’s format and production. And, it also includes examples of Sesame Street curriculum, sketches, Muppet inserts, and song lyrics, as well as their rationale.

Muppet Show chapters include Muppet history, parts of Jim Henson’s biography, his methods of Muppet design and construction, and how the puppets are actually operated. Some of The Muppet Show guest stars for whom Mr. Bailey wrote include George Burns, Bob Hope, Steve Martin, Rudolf Nureyev, John Cleese, and Peter Sellers. An entire chapter is devoted to seriously discussing comedy with Milton Berle.

One chapter describes how the author heard of Jim Henson’s passing and his reaction to it, as well as a description of the Jim Henson memorial service at the Cathedral of Saint John the Devine in New York City.

During the years of 1973 to 1992, Mr. Bailey worked on a wide variety of Muppet projects. He was a staff writer on both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. Additionally, he co-wrote Sesame Street and Muppet specials that included Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Big Bird in China and Rocky Mountain Holiday, as well as writing Muppet Business Meeting Films, collateral material, record albums, and scripts for special Big Bird appearances at Carnegie Hall and the White House.

Mr. Bailey’s writing awards include 5 Emmys, 3 Emmy nominations, a Writers Guild Award, a Writers Guild nomination, an Action for Children’s Television Award and a George Forster Peabody Award.

Living in Manhattan with his wife, Mr. Bailey indulges in occasional long-distance motorcycle trips and claims to speak French and play piano to the equal amusement of others.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Oooooh I know what I'm going to be buying for myself when I go out to finish my Xmas shopping. :wink:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this book?? I got mine today. It's paperback and there are no pics inside just text, I guess I was just expecting bigger, hardback and images!

Chris

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this book?? I got mine today. It's paperback and there are no pics inside just text, I guess I was just expecting bigger, hardback and images!
Well he is a writer, it makes sense the emphasis would be on text. :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There are probably no images because of licensing/rights issues.

theSHE124

Reaction score
Still, it sounds like something I might read. As I heard from a sign in Pixar studio, 'Story is King'.:wisdom:
(George the Janitor walks into the scene)
(GEORGE: You typed?)

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
This book is AMAZING!! The stories in here are wonderful. You get a real inside look into the Muppets through his career and definitely one of the best books I have ever read as a muppet fan. You definitely need to get this book!

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
It's an excellent book. Pity it is not a more widespread publication. Anyone with an interest in the Muppets, Sesame Street, or just television writing in general, would benefit from reading it.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Just finished reading this yesterday. Not only does Bailey have some fascinating stories to tell, but some really great advice for writers as well. Really happy I got this.