NECA shows off a new Sesame Street action figure line!

MWoO

Reaction score

I just saw pictures of full articulated, puppet accurate, full textured and painted, Sesame Street action figures!!!

These look like what Palisades tried to give us 20 years ago! Finally, a company is making a long standing dream come true. The accessories look great, the sculpts look great, we even have swappable heads and the muppet letters and numbers.

The first 3 figures shown are The Count, Bert, and Ernie. There are 4 letters that spell NECA, but no word on if these come with any of the figures. Considering the "E" is from the letter beauty pageant sketch, I assume these will be released some how.

Sculpts seem to be based on the late 80s/early 90s puppets.

Bert has a book, paper clip collection in the cigar box, realistic pigeon, bottle cap collection mounted to the cork board, and alt head.

Ernie has rubber dickie, a picture of Bert and Ernie, alt head, and I think he comes with the lamp post so there is a possibility of diorama happening (NECA has them for other lines).

Count seems to come with a candelabra, telephone, muppet bat, and alt head plus the cape appears to be fabric.

No word on scale, though I bet they scale with Palisades. Price is likely 36.99 a piece like their other ultimate figures.

I never thought we would see figures like this, but of all the companies to bring them to us I am so glad it is NECA doing these.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard about these from toughpigs.com, but they only reported a :frown: and :stick_out_tongue:, no mention of :batty:, and they said these would be in the "Toony" NECA style so I kind of gave it a pass. Between these and Super7's ongoing line, it's great for SST action figures. :big_grin:

MWoO

Reaction score
There is also a Toony Terrors line that was shown a week or two ago. They showed Bert and Ernie via pictures online. At the show they had those figures as well and showed off Oscar in the Toony Terror style.

Also, it looks like the card for Ernie says Q3 2024. I hope that is true and we don't have to wait long like we did for the Dinosaurs figures.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aaaah. So :frown:, :stick_out_tongue:, and :grouchy: in the Toony Terrors line; yet :frown:, :stick_out_tongue:, and :batty: in a full-scaled figure line that's more accurate in terms of appearance than the Toony Terrors line. Okay, that makes sense, and dollars too.

Not sure which I'd get, if these or Super 7's figures, good to have this kind of choice though.

MWoO

Reaction score
IMO, there us zero comparison between Super7's ReAction line and NECAs Ultimate line. The ReAction figures are $20 a piece and are done in a 70's/80's retro style with very basic articulation and simplified sculpt. They are OK for what they are if you like that style, but the price is steep for what you get.

The NECA Ultimate Sesame Street figures will likely be $36.99 per figure. They have a lot of good show specific accessories and the figures are very realistic looking. Not really something that can be compared to the ReAction line.

One other thing to note is that NECA doesn't really do waves of figures in the traditional sense. They kind of just put out figures how and when they seem fit. We may get 3 figures all at once or spaced out. It won't be the traditional numbered waves if old, more like single releases.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, that's interesting. Remember I happen to be visually impaired, so I basically either ask questions or let myself be guided by reviews from people like you MWoO.

Why might I consider the Super7 figures? Bear in mind I have no idea what "Re-Action" figures are. But given that they're in scale with the current DST Muppets figures, the fact all that's missing to complete the first two series of what Palisades planned long ago are the Two-Headed Monster and Roosevelt Franklin, and the first ever licensed merch—an actual figure no less—of a human cast member since the Fisher Price Little People figures vaguely based on Mr. Hooper as well; there are pros to supporting/purchasing that line.

Why might I get the NECA figures? Though pricier than the Super7 line, you say that the NECA line will more closely resemble the characters at a scale and texture and level of detail approximate to Palisades. For that reason I would consider purchasing Bert and The Count since I already have Palisades' S1 Ernie. True that NECA doesn't do traditionally numbered series of figures, I am familiar with them releasing sets of three figures at a time like what they did with their Ghostbusters line and if I'm thinking of the right manufacturer their second Nightmare Before Christmas line as well. And yes, those were lines whose sets or waves of three had diorama-building pieces so that's another point to consider with the Ultimate Sesame line.

Either way, it's great to know that we as a consumer community have a diverse choice.

MWoO

Reaction score
I didn't mean to come off as if one line was better than the other, but ReActionnfigures are for people who like the retro look with 5 points of articulation. I've just never been a fan of that style.

The Ghostbusters figures with the diorama pieces was done by Diamon Select. NECA is probably best known for their Ninja Turtle lines at the moment. They are known to do accessory packs and large diorama for Ninja Turtles, but I don't think they currently do included diorama pieces. The lamp post may come with Ernie, or it may just be there for show. Either way, I am sure it will be released in some way.

Hopefully this line does well because NECA is also known for going all in on lines that do well for them.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, I got what you were saying when comparing one line to the other.

You're right, it's DST who was responsible for the Ghostbusters and Nightmare Before Christmas figures with buildable diorama pieces.

Also, Q3 2024, would that be September-December? Cause that'd be too optimistic a release given the news broke now at the end of July. Either way I'm still a proponent of a PVC static-posed line as that'd get you a greater range of character selection, though I do applaud both NECA and Super7's efforts.