My Theory On Elmo

RedPiggy

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
And third, I wish the CTW writers had been more consistent when a major character (someone who appears in a lot of stories and/or clips) gets retired. If human characters can't leave without an "in-universe" explanation, then why should Muppet characters vanish into thin air? True, killing off every Muppet whose performer has died would eliminate too many characters; but there's got to be another way to give those write-offs a backstory.
Exactly ... have some go to school/college ... have some get new jobs. Kids also have to learn that life changes. New people come ... other people go.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've probably mentioned this in my other anti-Elmo rants, but I share Kiersten's annoyance over the little red guy's refusal to use "I" and "me". (Ingeborg thinks Elmo needs to learn proper English! :smile: ) In all fairness to the kids who watch Sesame Street today, though...I grew up hearing Cookie Monster's warped grammar but never talked like him myself. If that can happen, then I'm sure that Elmo's third-person speech pattern won't get in the way of a kid learning how to use "I" and "me" correctly. TV isn't the only place people get exposed to language, after all!
Mmm... well, you see the problem lies within the fact that Elmo originally was a little more monstery, and speaking in third person is a reflection on his brand of Monster speak. In fact, if you check out the video "monster Hits!" you'll notice that Elmo is more like a monster child than a child that just so happens to be a monster. I feel that it is easy to over look that, but don't forget...Cookie Monster has a very stitled speach pattern. Clearly they were going for the same effect, but a different extent.

As the character became more child like, and the monstery mannerisms started to fade, he kept the third person way of talking. Of course, he just doesn't say his own name because of the ego (like that guy on Seinfeld, I forget the name of, and George started copying him... "George is Gettin' Upset!"), just out of his monster roots. I like how he also says everyone else's name in third person as well.

But trust me, I find quite a few characters more annoying than Elmo. Well, at least Elizabeth and Murray Sparkles. not so much the cat, but the fact that there's a girl who's overly proud of her, displaying none of the charm of overzealous parents that praise Natasha for being a baby (there's so much truth in that, if you know the right people).

Greedo

Reaction score
I don't have anything against Mr. Kevin Clash per se, he seems like a great fellow. SO I wonder what he thinks about all the Elmoization happening, and who's exactly responsible for the spread of the red tide, so to speak.:concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't have anything against Mr. Kevin Clash per se, he seems like a great fellow. SO I wonder what he thinks about all the Elmoization happening, and who's exactly responsible for the spread of the red tide, so to speak.:concern:

Who's responsible? Why, the kids of course. Why on Earth would they try to force something on kids if they don't like it? They'd change the channel in a micro second, they would. It's like, why is Survivor still on the air? Because people watched it, and they are still watching it.

It takes 2 people to make something a fad... the creator and the audience.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't find Elmo a nuecence as a character, but an overexposed one. He's on literally everything! On toys, shirts, DVD covers (even the ones he doesn't star in) and a whole bunch of other things. He's got his own 15 minute segment on the show, that's enough. On the old show, did we get Grover or Kermit in every Muppet segment? They show is full of variety. Having Elmo all the time is the complete opposite.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score

Redsonga

Reaction score
Please don't misunderstand, we don't dislike him (or at least, like me, he isn't a favorite) because we didn't grow up with him IMHO, at least I don't think that is true mostly. He was around when I was little to, in fact our generation might be called the first one to have 'Elmo' as really himself :smile:. But he was a background character then, and much more understated and not so...'on' all the time. I think our Elmo, the 80's Elmo I remember from age two onward, was a bit more..realistic..than he is now. If that makes any sense.

So, no, I don't hate Elmo for being himself..I just miss the character he was, back when SST had a little more balance and Big Bird :3

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Please don't misunderstand, we don't dislike him (or at least, like me, he isn't a favorite) because we didn't grow up with him IMHO, at least I don't think that is true mostly. He was around when I was little to, in fact our generation might be called the first one to have 'Elmo' as really himself :smile:. But he was a background character then, and much more understated and not so...'on' all the time. I think our Elmo, the 80's Elmo I remember from age two onward, was a bit more..realistic..than he is now. If that makes any sense.

So, no, I don't hate Elmo for being himself..I just miss the character he was, back when SST had a little more balance and Big Bird :3
Oh, I see.