My Pet Monster

Yorick

Reaction score
(Links in blue)

The toy, the show, the movie, etc. Anyone recall?

I saw one for $5 a few years back - it even talked. I almost got it because I didn't have one years ago. But then, I decided it would just sit there and look cool, so what's the point.

But he's still cool :smile:

I can't believe I couldn't find the original 80's TV ad for the toy! That's why I didn't put a link at the very start of the post...

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I remember My Pet Monster very well! I have one of the MY Monster Pet, hand puppets named Gwonk.
I also remember renting the movie on vhs in 1987...cool flick! Glad to see someone else remembers this stuFf!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I remember My Pet Monster- the doll for boys is how it was advertised in the 1980s. The movie is pretty hilarious/intriguing at the same time.
I remember the cartoon too- The Complete Series is now available on DVD!:smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Oh boy! Yes, I certainly am a fan of Quantum Leap!:smile:
(Among many other things- lol).:big_grin:

Yorick

Reaction score
Quantum Leap

Very cool! I always found that MacGgyver and Quantum Leap go together, for two reasons.
1. I watched both and loved them
2. They were both action and adventure filled, and yet with heart, based on good people trying to do the right thing!

Now, one might feel my reasoning is vague because other shows could fit that mold too, but...that's how I feel about it:big_grin:

Sorry to go off topic of My Pet Monster:confused:

jediX

Reaction score
I too loved that crazy video and wanted one of the actual monsters. I'm pretty certain that I never saw the tape until the early 199s and by then the toys were already out of the stores. I remember that back then (and probably still now) they used to heavily plug the toy tie-ins to the videos so they'd always have the commercials in them... and when you're a kid, you don't really notice that the tape you're getting from the video store is at least 5 years old.

I'd love to get ahold of one of those monsters (cheap) so I could do a full retrospective of it over on my retro review/humor site, www.orbitoad.com.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Very cool! I always found that MacGgyver and Quantum Leap go together, for two reasons.
1. I watched both and loved them
2. They were both action and adventure filled, and yet with heart, based on good people trying to do the right thing!

Now, one might feel my reasoning is vague because other shows could fit that mold too, but...that's how I feel about it

Sorry to go off topic of My Pet Monster
That's cool. That's pretty much why I like them and why they run well together for me too. Although MacGyver and Quantum Leap actually have a number of things in common. And so does another favorite show of mine, Early Edition. (This one is particularly similar to Quantum Leap in some regards, but it also fits well with MacGyver.) All three are some of my top favorite action/adventure and/or scifi/fantasy shows of all time. And I love that all three always have a positive message and even some good Christian values too. Though MacGyver is still my top favorite- but there's really tons of shows I love from my childhood (and many that are older than me too.)
You might enjoy this list of similarities- http://macgyver.250free.com/mactopten.htm
Somewhere I've got a list of comparisons between MacGyver, Early Edition and Quantum Leap- I'll have to post that somewhere sometime.