My opinion on Elmo has changed

WazzupMyBoyz

Reaction score
In addition, despite ending after 64 episodes, the original Elmo's World continued to be re-ran on Sesame Street until season 42. I don't know why they wanted to do this anyway.

GizmoAkimbo

Reaction score
Even though Elmo was never one of my favorite characters on Sesame Street, I never really minded him too much. However, I did feel he became a very overexposed character once his popularity increased during the 1990s.
However, I will give "Elmo's World" some credit, as there were occasionally some good parts of it, even if still had flaws and issues. I was fine with watching Elmo Saves Christmas and CinderElmo, even if I personally feel Zoe would have been a better fit for the Cinderella role in the latter project.
Honestly, I think that Elmo has become a more dominant character on Sesame Street now more than he ever did during the 2000s. While he was definitely used a lot during the 2000s, there were still several characters that still did get the spotlight in street stories and segments. Elmo was not even one of the main hosts of Play With Me Sesame.
Now, particularly in the last few years, Elmo is used in basically every street story and segment, which is honestly not necessary at all, while so many of the other major characters barely get used anymore. However, it is what it is with this show at this point.
I like the points you've made, as it reminded me that it tends to be the way of things once shows (of any genre really) ends up building massive amounts of success and a prominent fanbase. They end up focusing on the most obvious icons of the show, thinking the character is the heart of it. An example of this I come to think of is Spongebob---he's received much of the same treatment as Elmo has in recent years.

I thought it was an interesting phenomenon to point out.