My Elmo Replica

Frank E Stein

Reaction score
That is pretty cool, I am working on my own Elmo right now. What did you make the eyes out of?

ashkent

Reaction score
That is pretty cool, I am working on my own Elmo right now. What did you make the eyes out of?
They were made out of craft balls, which i had to spray white as they come clear. They come in a all sizes and they also have a little bit sticking out that can have a piece of string tied through which helps when actually attaching them as it sits inside the skull and can be linked up to an eye mechanism.
I have tried other things like polyfoam balls, pingpong balls. They all work, its just getting rid of the ridges on the ployfoam ones or for me they are perfect.

Christopher R

Reaction score
Hi! This will be my first build; I just purchased a pattern from Project Puppet and I'm a little lost. I'm comparing your pattern with mine, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the "U" shaped pieces are a the top of your photo or the large pieces in the middle. Also, any advice on legs and feet? Pattern is torso only. Thanks! Great work.

I thought i would post a few pictures of the Elmo replica we're building at Old Enough To Know Better Puppets.

Due to some problems with the postal service in the last few days we're some supplies short hence the reason for a current lack of eyes. I'll post up the finished puppet sometime next week.

ashkent

Reaction score
Hi! This will be my first build; I just purchased a pattern from Project Puppet and I'm a little lost. I'm comparing your pattern with mine, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the "U" shaped pieces are a the top of your photo or the large pieces in the middle. Also, any advice on legs and feet? Pattern is torso only. Thanks! Great work.
The U shapes are the tops of the feet. the inner U attaches to the bottom of the leg while the base of the feet sews onto the front (toes to straight edge)then you cut it to form the toes.

The piece in the middle makes the body once all the darts are sewn together.

On mine, the two pieces on the right were the legs,combined with the two U shapes and foot bottoms.

I've honestly found that trial and error is the best way to go. Also, if possible, try things before making them permanent - like check the position of the eyes, the curve of the head, the positions of the arms. I have used a number of Project Puppet patterns, but always end up slightly changing something. They are brilliant starting though.

Christopher R

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I'm just waiting for the fabric to arrive then I'm going to hit up some craft stores to gather the eyes, nose and supplies. Do you think 1 yard should do the trick?

Thanks again!
All best,
Chris

The U shapes are the tops of the feet. the inner U attaches to the bottom of the leg while the base of the feet sews onto the front (toes to straight edge)then you cut it to form the toes.

The piece in the middle makes the body once all the darts are sewn together.

On mine, the two pieces on the right were the legs,combined with the two U shapes and foot bottoms.

I've honestly found that trial and error is the best way to go. Also, if possible, try things before making them permanent - like check the position of the eyes, the curve of the head, the positions of the arms. I have used a number of Project Puppet patterns, but always end up slightly changing something. They are brilliant starting though.

ashkent

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I'm just waiting for the fabric to arrive then I'm going to hit up some craft stores to gather the eyes, nose and supplies. Do you think 1 yard should do the trick?

Thanks again!
All best,
Chris
Can't remember for certain but I think the piece used here was 1 metre wide and 2 metres long so roughly the same in yards.

ashkent

Reaction score
I didn't actually make it any bigger. I just added a bit more fabric to the top of the body pattern to extend his neck. The head, main body, arms and legs were exactly to the pattern.

bigwilly2000

Reaction score
Was the body and leg pattern from Project Puppet? How much fur did you add on top of the pattern? All I would need is the melon head pattern and I could start one of these. :cool:

ashkent

Reaction score
Yes the patterns were all Project Puppets...I don't remember exactly how much fur i added to the top, but i think it was about 5-6 inches from the top of the foam body to the join with the head.

One thing i would say is it depends what type of elmo you want to end up with. Elmo is one of the few characters that seems to have "grown up" over the years. the Melon head pattern is great for a younger Elmo - like the one in the You Tube clip where he sings Elmos song with Big Bird and Snuffie - but if you're looking for the more recent elmos (like the one that has done the scenes with Ricky Gervais) then I actually think the Forma Oval is a better pattern to use for the head as his head in recent series has been larger and rounder than the melon head allows.

Hope this helps.