My Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I see the response that my post regarding the subtitles of recent DVDs have caused, and I must say I'm sincerely sorry for coming off as offensive. However, at the same time, and not to take away from the apology, itself, I must say that I thought I made it very clear that was my problem was with the nature of the disc to seemingly randomly switch, without cause, and not at all with the presence of the subtitles.

I think it's great that such things are taken into consideration when authoring DVDs, and it'd be a terrible oversight to not include them, at all. I am supportive of all those who maybe be hearing or sight-impaired, as well as any others with such conditions. I am amazed by how it must be to go through life like that, and how such individuals must be so strong to overcome the challenges life has thrown at them.

My concern was simply with what seemed to be a completely nonsensical placement of these subtitles, when I never specifically activated them. Just imagine if it was the other way around, and as a hearing-impaired individual, you specifically selected the option, began watching, perhaps even choosing "Play All", and all was fine until the second episode, still in sequence, without any changes being made, decided you no longer needed them, and de-activated the subtitles, as if you magically gained the ability to hear between episodes. Would you not be bothered and possibly even offended at this notion?

I hope that I've made my point and it could be understood that my problem is merely with those responsible for putting together the discs, and that I have no prejudices against anyone who, indeed, requires their use. I've played these discs, and I emphasize discS, because I've seen them on all for, and I have also tried them on multiple players. If I thought it was something I specifically did, I would have tried my best to figure out my own fault in it before posting a rant on a public forum. I hope what I've said can be forgiven, and we can move on as friends in the Muppet fan community. Thank you.

-Squigiman

MWoO

Reaction score
I read the thread and I don't see why it was closed. Barry Lee over reacted to something you didn't even write and then Count just up and closed it after one misinformed post.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I thought the who point of being on here was to discuss what we love and that is the Muppets. Sorry they closed the thread down. I think it is kinda sad that we live in a free country and we cannot say what we want....even on a forum. I did not find anything affensive and nothing was said that I don't think anyone would disagree. I guess sometimes others have power trips, and love to use that power. I am on other forums and I noticed that this one is the most strick and other forum members are not happy if they are not in the limelight or getting the most attention. I am sorry I am rambling off like this, but this happened to me over a litte miss communication and it just kept going and going and going. Even after a full apology. You did not do nothing wrong, so don't apologize for speaking your mind. Remember, this is ONLY a discussion forum and not a Popularity contest.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I just read the thread and I agree there was a mis-understanding involved.
When I read Barry's comment my honest opinion was that he wasn't really saying he was offended by your original post at all. I had the impression that he was commenting on the subsequent posts points that many discs don't even have subtitles for the deaf at all and this offends him because it means that he is unable to enjoy most of his favourite movies and television shows.

I am all in favour that all DVDs should take deaf people into consideration and I also concur how annoying it would be to have the feature appear and disappear sporadically whether you needed it or not.
You did nothing wrong really. Don't feel bad about it. :smile:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I read the thread and I don't see why it was closed. Barry Lee over reacted to something you didn't even write and then Count just up and closed it after one misinformed post.
First off you dont know me and my situation, so dont think i overeacted, you probablly read it wrong. Second off, it wasnt offensive, it just rattled me a bit, and Squigman you have guts to apologize, so I for one accept it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Ahem... First of all, the original thread's title, if you read that in earnest, was enough to flag it as troubling. Secondly, the manner in which the replies were being posted led me to believe that it would simply snowball into negativity and infighting amongst forum members. This new thread, while attempting to apologize for the first and I do thank you for that Squiggy, seems to be heading in the same direction with the replies on the actions taken towards the first thread. Please remember that this is a forum where people do have the freedom to speak their minds about topics related to the Muppets and other subjects in the appropriate areas, so long as it's within the norms and rules of the forum overall in helping to promote and keep our family-friendly atmosphere.
So with apologies to all and hopefully your understanding as well, I'm closing this thread too, before the political views and negativity over such views gets out of hand.

Sorry it came to this... Hope you know I'm doing this for the good of the forums and have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.