Muppets Take Over Capital Radio

Luke

Reaction score
The audio was wacky throughout the show - everyone had their own varying volume levels.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Well in the original broadcast the characters switched from the Left to the Right speakers to make it seem as thought the Muppet’s had all been in various places around the room. It sounds like this archive was in Mono, so you hear the reverb from the Right stereo speaker. That’s why I would assume there is the volume problems.

CW

radionate

Reaction score
I wondered if it was just my computer, but the more I listened, the more I realized it was mainly just Steve's mic that was going out. Kermit always sounded like he was a mile away (I could only tell it was Kermit as the other guys were addressing him directly).

Have a lot of these take over shows had similar audio quality mishaps?

I just saw Auggi's post, and converting from Stereo to Mono sounds like its likely the problem. If you listen to the John Denver and the Muppets Alblum on a Mono station, the same problem occurs (I know as I once played a cut on my college stations Mono broadcast)

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Phillip

Thanks for posting that Phil! that was a hoot! too bad it's only 10 minuets but a great one at that!

the Muppet ShowDVD's arent out yet are they? I mean rizzo kept pulgging it in;-)

Zack)Rowlf the, Pepe, I wasn't there, I don't care! okay?Dog.

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
The Animal Voice Mystery

Well lets try to figure out "The Animal Voice Mystery"...

From the sounds of it, the only puppeteers there were Steve, Dave, Bill, and Eric.

Steve and Dave had bad mikes, so Rizzo, Kermit, Beaker, Bunsen and Gonzo came in badly.

Bill and Eric's mikes were fine, so Fozzie, Piggy, Pepe and the Chef came in clearly.

Animal was coming in over one of the bad mikes.

Fozzie and Piggy both spoke over Animal's lines, so it probably wasn't Eric.

But so did Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo.

So the question is....Is it a conspiracy? Were Animal's lines pre-recorded? Could one of our favorite puppeteers have the ability to throw their voice across the room? Was there a fifth puppeteer on the grassy knoll? Where is Sherlock Hemlock when you need him? What do you guys think?
-Artie

Luke

Reaction score
I guess it depends where this was recorded. Steve was over for the Queens Jubilee so it's not impossible that the other puppeteers came over and recorded this at Capital's studios around the same time. If thats the case, Capitals studios (while high tech) are very low on omni-directional mics and the studios are full of directional stuff so a puppeteer making out they are in the distance is gonna come across badly anyway.

The more likely thing is that they recorded it in the states, i think Capital own a few stations over there and i'm sure Henson themselves probably have the equipment what with Chaplin having recording studios. If thats the case i have no idea as to sound.

As for Animal, the whole things sounds as if it were recorded link by link, without any edits or loops so i guess there must have been someone else there doing Animal - it didn't sound like Eric to me anyway. Perhaps it was Brian Henson, or a puppeteer from Henson UK ? There must have been someone very British there to have included all those references to Britain and Capital Radio's presenters.

Joggy

Reaction score
Did anybody make an audio recording of the complete show including songs (cassette or Minidisc or whatever)? I'd love to have this in good stereo quality... email me at jal@euronet.nl for a trade! (I have a big lot of Muppet audio to trade!)

radionate

Reaction score
Joggy, You have a minidisc player? I'm so impressed! Didn't think anyone had one.

Joggy

Reaction score
Oh yes, I have one. It's one of my most treasured possessions. I use it for any sort of sound recording!

radionate

Reaction score
I really wish they had caught on more over here in the states. I love them. The sound quality on them is fantastic, and they editing that you can do is pretty amazing too. One of my favorite toys to play with.