Muppets sequel plot and promotional photo in Entertainment Weekly

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Do you guys think that since part of the setup for the plot is "The Muppets on Tour", we might get to see new bits of old TMS sketches, like Pigs in Space and Vet's Hospital? I think it would be a lot of fun to see things like that in an opening sequence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope there isn't too much throwback to the TV show. The last movie was really Muppet buffet style, trying to get as many references and concepts from as much Muppet Media as possible, and it needed that to be a successful comeback. However, this film needs to focus on the film's plot first and foremost. The Muppets was a very good film, if cluttered and cutting from multiple plot points. This film needs less of those because most of that stuff was established last time.

I'd tend to think we'd see some Muppet skits in montage form to keep the film moving, though.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'd tend to think we'd see some Muppet skits in montage form to keep the film moving, though.
That is the kind of thing I would like to see, a snappy montage with bits of several different kinds of acts from the tour. It wouldn't take up too much time, but would definitely be a nice throwback.

cjd874

Reaction score
Do you guys think that since part of the setup for the plot is "The Muppets on Tour", we might get to see new bits of old TMS sketches, like Pigs in Space and Vet's Hospital? I think it would be a lot of fun to see things like that in an opening sequence.
Do you mean that all-new sketches for Pigs in Space, Vet's Hospital, Swedish Chef, News Flashes, etc. will be taped and used in the film? If so, it would be really great to see the return of Link, Dr. Strangepork, the Newsman, and others.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would be great to at least see a little bit of various recurring segments in a montage. I wonder if they would build such sets that would only be used for a few seconds in a montage (I know, they could just green screen and cgi the backgrounds). I'd be surprised if any of the classic sets still exist.

In the previous movie they didn't rebuild any of the classic on-stage sets, except for the Swedish Chef's kitchen (I wonder if that was intended to be his set as used on-stage or if it was supposed to be the canteen, only looking like the kitchen). We didn't get Pigs in Space, Muppet Labs, Vets Hospital, or any other recurring sketches. In fact the telethon didn't include any sketches. We got a few musical numbers (with some great but simple-looking sets built), a comedy monologue from Fozzie, and an act from Gonzo. The non-musical numbers used simple backdrops.

I wonder if this film will be as nostalgiac/full of fan service as the previous film (and I feel the previous one could have used a bit more fan service). I feel it made sense for the previous film, as it was promoted as their comeback, but I wonder if that'll be neccessary for this film. With the Muppets on a world tour they'll surely include many characters like the last one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I see rats! That's a good sign for all of us Rizzo fans.
Early publicity for The Muppets also had grpup photos featuring generic rats but not Rizzo, and in the end Rizzo only appeared in the background (and there were a number of scenes with generic rats but no Rizzo). Though Rizzo was featured quite a bit in publicity and interviews (sorta like Pepe).

I wonder if it would be ironic if we get a flood of merchandise to promote this movie. On one hand, the last one was promoted as a comeback, and would have been more appropriate to have included more merchandise, DVD releases of past productions, maybe some TV broadcasts of past productions, and yet the merchandise seemed less than it should have been. On the other hand, The Muppets was the box-office hit we expected it to be, and that could encourage more merchandise and exposure of past productions when the new movie comes out (though a lot of merchandise should be out in the time between movies as well, considering the two-year wait).

Drtooth

Reaction score
That is the kind of thing I would like to see, a snappy montage with bits of several different kinds of acts from the tour. It wouldn't take up too much time, but would definitely be a nice throwback.
That would be excellent. Just a small sample of what they do on tour... maybe a scene of them rehearsing one. Full segments like Smells like Teen Spirit, Cluck You, and the unused Swedish Chef bit would tend to drag this film down, even though it added to the nostalgic edge that made the last movie work.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
I'm actually on the Muppet Wiki right now reading over the plot for The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made! and I must say apart from there being two Kermit's in this one I can see a lot of similarities between that movie and this one. That's why I was probably so happy when the plot was revealed but now it's got me thinking. If Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe are going to have the same amount of screen time as last time then why not just take them out of the movie entirely and have them interupt the movie every now and again as directors who actually get involved in the film themselves at certain points.

:grr: just thinking out loud

cjd874

Reaction score
I'm actually on the Muppet Wiki right now reading over the plot for The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made! and I must say apart from there being two Kermit's in this one I can see a lot of similarities between that movie and this one. That's why I was probably so happy when the plot was revealed but now it's got me thinking. If Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe are going to have the same amount of screen time as last time then why not just take them out of the movie entirely and have them interupt the movie every now and again as directors who actually get involved in the film themselves at certain points.

:grr: just thinking out loud
I'm not sure if taking them out of the movie will work. It's an interesting idea, but the public really loves Gonzo and I'm sure that he will have plenty of screen time, if not a major role in the movie.
I agree with you on one thing about Rizzo and Pepe: Rizzo is not as well known to the casual fans and non-fans, and Pepe isn't considered one of the famous AND long-standing Muppets like Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, or even Dr. Honeydew and Beaker. But maybe giving Rizzo and Pepe some brief cameos or a few short speaking roles dispersed throughout the movie would be good. Honestly, I think there's more of a chance of Rizzo being in the movie than Pepe. I mean, we saw four or five generic rats in the EW press photo. That brings my hopes up.