Muppets Christmas Movie Wraps

Luke

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Kynan has posted over at Toughpigs that the Muppets Christmas Movie has now wrapped in Vancouver and insiders say that Henson are VERY pleased with it so far. Apparently there are hints that the whole spirit of Jim's work has been recaptured.

Anyway for the full details you can read Kynan's original message by clicking here.

I thought people would be interested in this at MC too !

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Hi Guys,

Kynan has posted over at Toughpigs that the Muppets Christmas Movie has now wrapped in Vancouver and insiders say that Henson are VERY pleased with it so far. Apparently there are hints that the whole spirit of Jim's work has been recaptured.

Anyway for the full details you can read Kynan's original message by clicking here.

I thought people would be interested in this at MC too !
Well, one would assume that Henson was "VERY pleased" about the Swamp Years debacle as well. As for "the whole spirit of Jim's work has been recaptured"...what the frick does THAT mean? IMO, the spirit of Jim's work was encapsulated in the original "Muppet Movie". Particularly in the relationship between Kermit and Piggy. (And it was very seldom recaptured after that, with the possible exception being "Muppet Family Christmas"). I doubt we'll see that revived in any current project from the people running the joint now. BTW, just wanted to tell the guy who "explained" the painful TV Guide Kermit interview to me...thanks, I get it now. But it's still not funny. And in my own defense, I'm hardly the only person not getting the joke regarding output from Henson nowadays...

beaker

Reaction score
Just a few questions:

*Please tell me this will take place in modern times, and wont be some 'let me spin ya an olde tale of yore...back in 1865 in London town...' ...and please tell me it wont just be a series of xmas movie parody vignettes like those lesley nielsen comedies!

*Is it in the tradition of Muppet Family Xmas(ie: a central location) or all over the map like a 'movie'?

*The b to c list stars cameoing doesnt do much for me. Jon Stewart though was great in Elmopalooza, so its good some of these people are Muppet veterans. Just hoping these dont spoil too much of the fun...like how IMHO the Hulk Hogan cameo/nWo plug in MSF wiped out any fun I was having watching that.
Its distressing to know these are the only people they could get...Cruise, Travolta, Spacey, Devito, etc can cameo in Goldmember, but no semi A list stars have a desire to cameo on a Muppet movie? Perhaps the stigma of 'made for tv movie' has their agents saying no thanks. hmmmm....

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Its distressing to know these are the only people they could get...Cruise, Travolta, Spacey, Devito, etc can cameo in Goldmember, but no semi A list stars have a desire to cameo on a Muppet movie? Perhaps the stigma of 'made for tv movie' has their agents saying no thanks. hmmmm....
With respect, 'Goldmember' was a much more high profile movie. You do actually have to pay people to cameo in a movie and the budget is always pretty low for TV movies. The only people they can get very cheap are those signed to NBC and getting a 'plug' out of it. They've actually not done a bad job with the celebs in this movie - it's always easier to criticise but it's not all that easy celebrity booking a project like this. The Muppets aren't exactly A-list themselves and the audience watching will just be a family mix so you can't sell it to them on the main stars, having a targetted audience they also need, and the money will be low. The best way to put it to an agent is that it's for the kids, and it gets the celebrities face on screen over christmas when everybodies doing specials and feeling warm and gooey !

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
If the regular Muppets themselves can't get A-list stars...

then how come "Sesame Street" can?

This past year, they got some major TV talent to make appearances (James Gandolfini and Edie Falco from "The Sopranos" and Ray Romano from "Everybody Loves Raymond"), as well as musical acts like Jill Scott, Dixie Chicks, Destiny's Child, The Backstreet Boys and Bela Fleck.

They're already engaged in the controversial idea of courting Ozzy Osbourne (yes, he who bit the heads off bats) for a 34th season 2003-2004 season cameo appearance.

How come "Sesame Street" is getting bigger stars than the regular Muppets?

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

scott

Reaction score
Jon Stewart will always be A-List in my heart. Everybody loves the Daily Show and he is much better than Craig Kilborn IMO.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Agreed! I would consider Stewart THE talk show host of today - even above Leno and Letterman - the guy ROCLS!

Luke

Reaction score
Re: If the regular Muppets themselves can't get A-list stars...

Originally posted by manoftheSTREET
How come "Sesame Street" is getting bigger stars than the regular Muppets?
Some reasons are probably they are on TV daily so have better exposure, Sesame has a community feel to it like a celeb is doing something for charity, Sesame is considered more kids where Muppets are on the line so a celeb might want to look good doing a kid show, they are TV not a TV movie - a TV appearance takes a lot less negotiation, usually no money and a celebs actually have time in their schedules marked out to do TV appearances if they have some reason to be out there on the circuit (ie :- new record, show etc) and also being a company with a regular daily show Sesame Workshop probably have better Celebrity Bookers than Henson, who probably don't have any right now.

I'm sure the classic Muppets will be getting some bigger names as they get established again and have their weekly TV show - Britney Spears and Enrico Englaisias were both possibles for a new Muppet project a while back.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>This past year, they got some major TV talent to make appearances (James Gandolfini and Edie Falco from "The Sopranos" and Ray Romano from "Everybody Loves Raymond"), as well as musical acts like Jill Scott, Dixie Chicks, Destiny's Child, The Backstreet Boys and Bela Fleck<<<

Dixie Chicks??? Judging from the 5 part Muppet Family Feud thing, theyre the enemy! ^_^ I think the Muppets only one one show...but then again Johnny Fiama's rampant 'canole' bit didnt help.