Muppets Based on Contemporary Celebrities/Pop Culture

figmental

Reaction score
I think Bill Barretta said that Johnny Fiama was based off his dad.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I always found Sam the Eagle to not only be a voice of the bizarre fringe of conservatism, but also had a distinct similarity to Richard Nixon. Heck, it was the 70's so that makes a lot of sense.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say more of the Jerry Falwell types and the whole "What happened to America?" groups that want a non-existent version of the 1950's. But that's the nail on the head. The group of people who claim to be patriotic, have nothing but nasty things to say about stuff without getting all the facts, and above all (and this isn't even political) anyone who claims to be cultured but has never cracked a book in their lifetime.

Basically, Jim used Sam as a way to speak out against busybodies that write long, pointless letters to networks to police television and kill any creative license. As a very creative person (even though he did draw lines), Jim wasn't the kind of person to miss an opportunity to hold a mirror up to those types.

dwmckim

Reaction score
It seems so strange to think about it now because both the look and character have come such a long way from those humble beginnings, but Miss Piggy was based on Peggy Lee (with a "proto name" of "Piggy Lee") You can totally take any picture of Peggy Lee, draw pig ears and snout on it and it'll look almost exactly like the original Piggy puppet! (Yes, i've done this many times!)

debdog42

Reaction score
What about Meryl Sheep and Ross Parrot off Sesame Street? Gotta be take offs of Meryl Streep and Ross Perot!