Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
Hey Fozzy Bear, what copy of return to OZ do you have? In mine you can not see any of those Characters at the end. I assume you are talking about what is supposed to be the coronation seen where the scarecrow becomes the king of OZ again.

I had heard that in Japan the film was huge and exploded with all sorts of toys and merchandise. I just always thought that all the stuff they left out in the American release was included in the Japan realse of the film. In my collecting of Oz over the years I have found many books and pictures on and from Return to OZ which as fair as I can tell were not in the film I have on VHS.

So am I crazy or does any one have more information on this? :smile: :attitude:
See Lady Hyde's post above: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=215845&postcount=29

It's in the end coronation scene like you mentioned; but you have to look REALLY close.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Return of Oz was relased on DVD in the US from Ancor Bay in i think 1999. Its a fun DVD to check out.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
yea there are some. If i remember correctly there is an interesting making of feature. Below i will leave you a link with more info about the disc. Although Anchor Bay lost the rights to produce DVD's of Disney's Red Headed Step Child films though i believe in 2001 to MGM. So the disc is discontinued. But from what i remember of it it was a fun DVD.

http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/returntooz/2522/

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Special Features:
Fairuza Balk Introduction
Interview Feature
Collectible Postcard

That's just too exciting. I have to have that collectible postcard for sure. zzzzz...

I have to be critical for a moment and say that while the characters in Oz look very much like the book, the action and this version of the story were boring and just didn't capture that magic as the first one did. I think they could have done better with it all. Still, it was a fun film and I do own it--just don't watch it that often.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Return To Oz

I would agree, if they had made a story based on any one of the first 4 L. Frank Baum Books, it would have been better than the story they came up with. It is a cool effects romp, and captures the magic but the story is lacking, in no way would the knome king every truly quest to be human. In doing so he would loose all of his powers, as well as his underground kingdome. I will say that Jack Pumpkinhead rocks!

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Well remember this disc is very much so out of print. I looked on one site for info about it and it was out of stock. Now Amazon or something like that may still have plenty in stock. Or look at your local Best Buy, Suncoast Video, or Circuit City they may also still have it. If i remember correctly it has a pretty interesting feature on the making of the Effects, and talked about Brian Henson preforming the pumpkin head character. Its a fun disc and one a Muppet fan should have. My roomate in college bought the disc so I don't have it anymore.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Return to OZ

Gang,
If you look on ebay you can find tuns of DVD and VHS of return to OZ for all different prices. I used to have the VHS, but am currently seeking to find the DVD. Happy Hunting!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
My favorite characters in the Oz books are Scarecrow and Jack Pumpkinhead.

smcguire

Reaction score
Return to OZ DVD

While the Anchor Bay version of the "Return to Oz" DVD is out of print, it has been replaced by a new DVD of the film from Disney. The Disney version, which came out earlier this year, only has an anamorphic widescreen version of the film on it (the out-of-print DVD had both fullscreen and non-anamorphic widescreen). The Fairuza Balk interview is still on the DVD, and a new extra is the film's trailer and two TV spots.

So, you shouldn't have any trouble getting "Return to Oz" on DVD and no need to pay a lot for an "out of print" version.

--Scott M.