Muppet Must-See Locations

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
So, my mom recently suggested I make this thread, and here is just where you post places you've been involving the Muppets and enjoyed.

Yesterday we went to Leland, Mississippi, a few hours drive, but worth it. Just along Deer Creek they have a small building housing a museum containing a few puppets and books on display. It's rather small, but very nice.

MeepMeepBork

Reaction score
The Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington DC has lots of cool Muppet stuff, including the puppets from Sam and Friends. I saw Kermit, the Swedish Chef and Oscar in the flesh (erm... felt?), right next to Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt. :big_grin:

Dearth

Reaction score
I haven't been to Leland (yet), but when I attended the "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" exhibit at the Mississippi Museum of Art in Jackson, MS back in March, they did have some "Leland, Birthplace of Jim Henson" t-shirts on sale in the gift shop.

I don't know where the JHFW exhibit is currently, but if it comes near you, give it a look. I'd seen a Kermit puppet in a touring show back in the 80's, along with other pop culture items, but it was great to see a Rowlf, Bert and Ernie, King Goshposh, Mahna Mahna, and Sir Linit.

Best of all, we got to meet Heather Henson and she was incredibly generous with her time and attention, and so nice to my kids.

Dearth

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The Hollywood Walk of Fame where you can see Jim Henson, Kermit the Frog, and Big Bird's stars in the sidewalk. It's an absolutely stunning experience that can't be missed.

Also, Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios and Muppet*Vision 3D along with Jim and Kermit's hand-prints in the sidewalk at the Chinese Theater are incredible must-sees.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
The Smithsonian Museum of American History currently only has a Kermit the Frog poser puppet on display, but it's still a wonderful museum and a must-see for Muppet fans!

I also went to see the Jim Henson Statue and Memorial Garden at the University of Maryland. The statue and garden were wonderful. They also have a statue of a Kermit-version of their terp mascot (Kertie) and you can go to one of their libraries to watch tons of great rare footage from their Jim Henson works digital archives. I spent a whole day watching Henson's Place, Muppet Stuff and Jim Henson Hour episodes

Also, the Library of Congress has TONS of great Muppet books, articles, and videos you can watch. Some of them have to be requested ahead of time because they are stored off-site but it is totally worth it because a lot of the books they have are super-rare and out of print.

So in a nutshell, D.C. is an awesome location for Muppet fans. I've had the greatest time checking out all the wonderful Muppet sites down while doing my legal internship at the Children's Hospital in D.C. I can't wait to see more!

Here is the public link to my photos of the Henson statue and memorial garden at the University of Maryland:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2407416&id=14210525&l=1316656f1a

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I haven't been to Leland (yet), but when I attended the "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" exhibit at the Mississippi Museum of Art in Jackson, MS back in March, they did have some "Leland, Birthplace of Jim Henson" t-shirts on sale in the gift shop.
Yeah, I loved that exhibit. I went a few years ago in Baton Rouge (or at least I think that's where it was), and then again there in Mississippi earlier in the year.

Also, Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios and Muppet*Vision 3D along with Jim and Kermit's hand-prints in the sidewalk at the Chinese Theater are incredible must-sees.
Oh, so that's really there? I was wondering if there was anything Muppet-related near the Chinese Theater after seeing the TV special. I'll have to check that out next time we go, probably very soon. :excited:

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta has a sweet Henson exhibit. There are examples of every phase of his career and the company he started, starting with Sam and Friends and continuing up to present-day projects. There's a video wall. There's one room dedicated just to Henson's characters; Dr. Teeth and the Swedish Chef and Ernie and Jim and Rowlf and Bugsy Them, etc etc. There are also various characters and things from Labyrinth - the cardlike guards, the oubliette hands, Didymus, the door knocker - a Skeksis, a video with Henson interviewing other puppeteers, Big Bird, the La Choy dragon, Pigs in Space, and... well, you get the picture, right? If you're ever in Atlanta, Go there! The entrance fee is only $8, and if you go on Thursday between 1:00 and 3:00 it's free. Sweeeet.

Dearth

Reaction score
The exhibit in Atlanta sounds awesome, and apparently they're planning a Henson Wing as a permanent addition. I swapped emails with one of the curators yesterday, sounds pretty interesting.

I just wish these museums allowed photos and video. The Mississippi Museum of Art did not allow it (although you can find tons of photos on the web by folks who apparently were NOT told this) and neither does the Center for Puppetry Arts.

I don't think they're worried about damage to the exhibits by the cameras (oh, no sir, please don't videotape these TELEVISION PUPPETS, :wink: ), so I figure it's just a way to keep their attendance up, and that kinda rubs me the wrong way. It's a business decision, rather than a 'preserve antiquities for all generations to enjoy' mindset.

Okay, off my soapbox now. I'll probably go anyway, and afterward I'll do exactly what I did following our trip to the "Fantastic World" show... surf the net until I've found photos of every single item on display.

DN

Minstrel Murray

Reaction score
I posted a link a few years ago, before some of you had joined Muppet Central. It is a set of photos from all of the Henson-related locations I visited in England. You can see them here:

http://etphoto.smugmug.com/Henson/Muppets-in-England/

If you go up a level on the website, I have some other photos of temporary exhibits and such. I also have some photos of the Henson statue and the Kermit terrapin statue that Muppetfan44 mentioned.

I have been to the Center of Puppetry Arts, but that was before the large Henson acquisition. At the time they did have Cookie Monster, the Pigs in Space, and a Skeksis (which was pretty awesome to see). So I definitely need to return there. I'm also hoping to catch "Fantastic World" in Chicago later this year.

-Murray