Muppet movie problems

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The answer to that is quite simple: all Muppets automatically know what to do in a musical number without any rehearsals. It's in their foam blood.
Too True, Too True :big_grin:. Though actually to me it isn't really a problem, it's actually quite funny, but I was thinking back to RH's review of MTM and she mentioned it, but I don't really care. A similar thing happened in TM where they failed rehearsal, but shined in the real telethon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, TV shows have deadlines to meet. Movies have deadlines to meet. Surely Broadway shows have deadlines to meet too?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The two-week deadline is nothing compared to what Fozzie's thought when they arrived in New York: he said that they'd "all be on Broadway tomorrow". Maybe he meant they'd officially have a deal to be on Broadway, though, as opposed to the show opening the next day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The two-week deadline is nothing compared to what Fozzie's thought when they arrived in New York: he said that they'd "all be on Broadway tomorrow". Maybe he meant they'd officially have a deal to be on Broadway, though, as opposed to the show opening the next day.
I take Fozzie's line as more of a joke on their naivety when they first arrive in NY. They think getting on Broadway will be that easy, lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another problem with MTM is the fact that all the dogs, bears, and chickens and whatevers were in the manhattan melodies show and they magically know what to do in 2 seconds flat. As for the 2 weeks thing it was just a way for the movie, as you said, to have a ticking clock. These minor problems shouldn't stop you from loving MTM.
That's an old convention of musicals/productions that somehow have a musical number in it. It's never explained, it lacks realistic subtext, and generally makes no sense. Especially when the plotline calls for someone putting on a show. They do rarely show rehearsals after all... but they really abuse that one when they think up a song on the spot and the musicians instinctively know what to play. You really can't blame the Muppets for an old, unexplained, convention like that.

The example that sticks out in my mind hard is that episode of Ducktales where the Beagle Boys become a rock group because they were caught on stage trying to steal the battle of the bands cash prize. All the sudden, they have a perfectly performed song to which they don't play instruments to (again, off screen, instinctive musicians).