Muppet Monsters

Frogster

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Did any of The Muppet Show monsters scare you when you were little? I remember watching Frog Prince, and that got me scared of Sweetums. And my fear of the monsters grew when I saw Sweetums and Doglion on The Cosby Show... the list goes on. I was just frightened by a lot of them; Behemoth, Thog, the Mutations... What do you guys think?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I wasn't scared of them individually, but when they grouped up like that number in the Julie Andrews episode, that was scary.

I was really scared of the monster that did the sketch where Kermit is eating what he thinks is a worm and turns out to be the monsters nose. I though he was gone forever.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
The monsters themselves didn't scare me. Only when they were eating another Muppet did I get scared.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Most of the monsters scared me as a kid,either by their creepy looks,the way they interacted with the other puppets.Hugga Wugga for example scared me,because Frank Oz made its voice so low,had staring eyes.Sweetums in TFP,absolutely scared me,because its eyes glowed,and it wasn't Richard doing the usual Sweetum voice.The Behemoth in I Got You Under My Skin,Doglion(Is that the cook or the dish?).Uncle Deadly kind of frightened me too,because he would just appear,then disappear into oblivion.The cherry on top of this post,is Splurge,in the Ed Sullivan skit Monster Family;scary footsteps are played & then Splurge crashed out of the wall.If I was in the audience and Splurge came at me(a full-size puppet),I'd be running for the exit. The music that goes with most monsters scares me too. As an adult,depending on the monster,I have to kind of psyche myself to watch most of the muppet monsters.:eek:

Gonzo's Goof

Reaction score
Only Gorgon Heap (spelling) In the Vincent Price episode for wanting to eat Kermit. Oddly I thought all the others were funny for eating things and people.

Xerus

Reaction score
It seems like Frank Oz did the most scariest monster voices. Especially the voice of the Beautiful Day monster. Certainly a lot different from his cute adorable Grover voice.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Frogster said:
Hey gang,
Did any of The Muppet Show monsters scare you when you were little? I remember watching Frog Prince, and that got me scared of Sweetums. And my fear of the monsters grew when I saw Sweetums and Doglion on The Cosby Show... the list goes on. I was just frightened by a lot of them; Behemoth, Thog, the Mutations... What do you guys think?
Thog? Boy, I just can't fathom how anyone would be scared of Thog.

I was scared when characters got eaten. Also was a bit scared of Sweetums, but only a bit. Really I liked the monsters quite a lot.

I was scared of Hugga Wugga, b/c of the voice and his trying to kill other characters. Also the monsters in "All of Me" and "I Feel Pretty", b/c at the time I was grossed out/freaked out by a character dismembering himself, and by a woman turning into a monster. Also at the end of "You Do Something to Me", when the little girl gets turned back into 'herself'- a buggy-eyed, mustached little carbon copy of the sorcerer- THAT was frightening.

On SS, I was scared of the certain sketches with monsters and odd rhythms, like "Some, None, All", "Fat Scat", "One, Two, Three- Three Monsters". Also was scared of this one "Big, Bigger, Biggest" sketch, in which the smallest monster (the little pink one) grows and turns into a giant, then, in Frank Oz monster voiced, LOUD and ECHOED, yells "BIIIIIIIIGGGEEEEEESSSST!!!!!!"

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Thog? Boy, I just can't fathom how anyone would be scared of Thog.
The only reason I can think of for anybody being scared of Thog would be if they saw his appearance in the Lorretta Switt episode, where he was a giant (and no, I wasn't scarred of him there). perhaps one needs to see him talk in order to not be scared.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
The only reason I can think of for anybody being scared of Thog would be if they saw his appearance in the Lorretta Switt episode, where he was a giant (and no, I wasn't scarred of him there). perhaps one needs to see him talk in order to not be scared.
I had a vagure memory of that sketch and was estactic, when I got my hands on it. And I think that that sketch actually was the base of one of the nightmares that I remember the best from my childhood.