Muppet Labs Playset Arrives: When and Where

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, in 1978 Avalon Industries released a set of blank plastic figurines, with paints and a paintbrush to decorate the figures. The set included Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Scooter and Animal.

All kinds of stuff like this came out. Check out our collectible arts and crafts for more.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
LOL - You know i've been thinking theres no need for them to be doing all this work at the factory. Next year from Palisades :- "Paint By Numbers - The Muppet Show Theatre". You just get the bits, some super glue, couple of pots of paint and a diagram.
Hey I think you are on to something here! Think of the savings in production costs! Not to mention that feeling of satistfaction gained from really have a "hand" in making your own Muppets. I see a future for you in the toy business.

matleo

Reaction score
Just called th TRU in East Brunswick, NJ. He's in. I wouldassume the other TRUs in jersey have him too. I'm off to get him now.

--Matt

Luke

Reaction score
Thank you Phillip and Jessica for your comments. Wow - i never knew about all the stuff Avalon and others made, i was agog at that. I was aware that 'Airfix' had made 'Return Of The Jedi' build/paint your own Playsets which were really good back in the mid 80's. Yes i can really imagine Muppet fans being into this kind of thing, although i was kinda joking, maybe it is something Palisades or another licensee could look into.

The joint level of creativity on here sometimes is astounding .... and so 'Penguin Toys' is born !

Luke
(after a spectacular big money takeover of 'Artie Toys')

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke + Phil,

There was also a Doozer and Gobo, i dont know what company tho.

in the UK we got 'PlasterCaster' Muppets, It was a mold which you can make a Muppet with then paint it.

In the set was Animal, Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Scooter.

I dont think there were anymore, But i know the preview booklet had Gloat the Green Frackle picture in it and Dr Teeth.

See ya

BAZ

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Actually, in 1978 Avalon Industries released a set of blank plastic figurines, with paints and a paintbrush to decorate the figures. The set included Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Scooter and Animal.

All kinds of stuff like this came out. Check out our collectible arts and crafts for more.
I bought the Kermit figure back then. Painted and out it on the dashboard of my car. Friend of mine use to refer to it as St. Kermit. It has been on the dashboard of every car I have owned since then. Each time I get a new car, Kermit gets a new paint job. Last time I had to buy paint remover to strip off all the layers of paint before the latest repaint.

BAZ

Reaction score
Re: Luke + Phil,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
There was also a Doozer and Gobo, i dont know what company tho.

in the UK we got 'PlasterCaster' Muppets, It was a mold which you can make a Muppet with then paint it.

In the set was Animal, Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Scooter.

I dont think there were anymore, But i know the preview booklet had Gloat the Green Frackle picture in it and Dr Teeth.

See ya
We had something like that in the U.S. It only had Kermit and Fozzie. I still have the molds around here somewhere.

I gotta inventory my Muppet stuff someday. I keep forgetting all the stuff I have.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't suprise me that Muppet fans have been into this kinda creativity deal before - i think it's more than time for a rebirth.

I think scene playsets like Theatre, Muppet Labs, Backstage, Chef Kitchen would be cool but also coming with mini figures and accesories to paint within each pack. I think these would be quite cheap, and you wouldn't have to shell out cash for anything extra because everything would be there within the pack. It'd also be cool for customisers becasue if they wanted to be different they could just use a different color scheme.

It might not be too hard licensing wise because few other companies would be in a position to bid for the licenses so it'd just be extra cash in the bank for JHC on something they probably didn't think about licensing now anyway.