1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppet Influences

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Iggy35, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Iggy35

Iggy35 Well-Known Member

Are there any tv shows out there that you watch and you can see they were influenced by the Muppet Show?
    Puppet show or otherwise.
    I know this one was.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vujlfhNMfE8
    Can anyone think of any others?

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised to see how the muppets influenced various other mediums and cartoonists and actors, and the like. It's hard to find somewhere where you can't see any of that influence rub off somewhere.

Both Powerpuff Girls and Dexter have some touches of influence in them. An entire segment known as "Puppet Pals" has clear influence from Ernie and Bert. The character of Fuzzy Lumpkins in PGG was said to be based off of Sweetums. Even in the PPG movie, you can see the Special report news flash was based off the Sesame Street News logo.

3. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Well-Known Member

The Muppets appear on Family Guy way too much to simply be parodying them. I think Seth McFarlane is a huge fan. Granted, the Muppets may not have directly inspired Family Guy, but there's definitely an affectionate nod towards them I think.

4. mikebennidict

mikebennidict Well-Known Member

I remember years ago seeing some religeous programming aimed at children and the puppets looked like Henson's Muppets.

5. muppetmonster

muppetmonster Well-Known Member

I am sure the muppets were very influential, but the top two influences I can think of are recent episodes of "Sesame Street" (as "Sesame Street" also influenced "the Muppet Show") and the film, "Meet the Feebles." Probably way too much with the latter, (sigh). For more influences, I do not know if "Fraggle Rock" came out after "the Muppet Show" or before, but maybe that too, along with other muppet shows, such as "Puzzle Place" and "Between the Lions" that used to be on PBS. I will tell you if I think of more.

Muppetmonster

6. peyjenk

peyjenk Well-Known Member

I think that Sesame Street was a very large and very direct influence to Between the Lions.

7. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I'd say that any of the Baby franchises (Tiny Toons anyone?) were influenced by Muppet Babies.

8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

He indeed is. Even in the commentary of the "movie" he made a reference during the end credits to Kermit the Frog's line in the Great Muppet Caper. And he even explains it too.

It probably almost had to. Especially considering a lot of people who worked on the show were directly from Sesame Street or even Henson. Quite a few of the puppeteers have worked or currently worked on SS.

9. G-MAN

G-MAN Well-Known Member

When I was younger there was a short lived fairy tale show with puppets called WhirlyGig, and I was convinced it was another Jim Henson Company program until I visited this website and all you fine people helped set me straight.

10. peyjenk

peyjenk Well-Known Member

Remember Pinwheel? That was another SS-clone.