Muppet FanFic: The Offer

Kristine73

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! This is my latest story and I got this idea from watching Muppets Tonight and Muppets from Space. The title comes from a line from one of my favourite songs by Canadian folk singer Stan Rogers 'Turnaround'. I'm still not entirely sure how this is going to go, but without further ado - or perhaps a don't! - here it is.

The Offer

Prologue

Kermit sat in the living room of the Muppet Boarding House sipping on a cup of cocoa. The majority of the residents had already turned in and Kermit had to admit he was enjoying the peace and quiet. Glancing at the clock on the wall Kermit saw it read 10.30pm. ‘Well, with a bit of luck, they will be here in about another half an hour or so.’ thought Kermit as he turned his attention back to a book he was reading.

“Kermit?” Looking over to the living room door Kermit saw Fozzie standing there is his night hat and smiled at him.

“Hello Fozzie.” said Kermit.

“Kermit, I’m heading off to bed now.”

“Alright Fozzie. Good night.”

“Aren’t you going to bed Kermit?” Fozzie asked.

“Not for a while Fozzie.” answered Kermit with a smile. “I’m waiting up for some old friends who will be arriving tonight.”

“Really! Who?” asked Fozzie excitedly, very intrigued. With Kermit, the friends could be absolutely anyone – ranging from his Sesame Street buddies to the guys who worked on Muppets Tonight plus everyone in between. ‘I hope its Ernie from Sesame Street! He’s so much fun and always laughs at my jokes!’ he thought.

“You will find out tomorrow morning.” answered Kermit.

“Do you want me to stay up with you and keep you company?” Fozzie inquired hopefully.
Kermit merely smiled and shook his head. “No thank you Fozzie, I am just fine!”

“Okay Kermit.” replied Fozzie. “Hey, I better go to bed right now! After all, the sooner you go to sleep, the sooner it’s tomorrow! Goodnight!”

“Goodnight Fozzie!” Kermit watched the furry funny-man hurry upstairs to his room. ‘One good thing about Fozzie, he accepts what I want to tell him. If it was Miss Piggy she’d still be here begging me to give her a hint!’ he thought.

Kermit stood up to stretch for a moment. Glancing around the room before he sat down, his gaze fell on the kitchen dresser, whose shelves held a number of family photographs. “Hmmm”, hummed Kermit thoughtfully as he made his way over to the piece of furniture and studied the various photos for a few minutes. One photo in particular caught Kermit’s eye and he picked up the frame. ‘Now that’s quite a family!’ he thought fondly, smiling at the picture.

Returning the photograph to its place, Kermit headed back into the living room to continue waiting for his friends. Friends he, nor anyone else at the Muppet Boarding House, had not seen for nearly 3 years…..

Kristine73

Reaction score
Chapter 1

Zoot hung his freshly ironed shirt on a coat hanger and then carefully folded the ironing board back into the wall. The rotten thing had a bad habit of falling back down and dropping an iron on your head if you weren’t careful! And for some totally inexplicable reason Zoot seemed to be the only person with the knack of opening it properly.

The sounds of Animal washing his hair in the toilet bowl brought Zoot’s thoughts back to why he was ironing his shirt in the first place. Tonight Zoot and Animal were sitting in with Solid Foam on tonight’s episode of MuppeTelevision after Flash and the lady drummer had realised they had been double booked and decided to take the other gig. It was certainly going to be a different experience, considering Zoot and Animal had played with no one but the Electric Mayhem for more than 15 years, however Doctor Teeth had seen Solid Foam in action and admitted he was impressed with the group.

“Hurry up Animal!” shouted Floyd. “You can’t keep Kermit and Jim waiting and you still need to blow-dry your hair!”

“O-kay!” called Animal. Floyd sighed and headed back to rooms he shared with the Electric Mayhem. Noticing the door to Doctor Teeth’s bedroom was shut he knocked on the door and called “Hey Zoot! You decent?”

“Yeah, come in.” came Zoot’s muffled reply. Floyd pushed the door open and spotted Zoot doing up the buttons on the shirt he had just finished ironing. Giving a low whistle, Floyd clapped his hand on Zoot’s shoulder.

“Lookin’ sharp there, my man!” observed Floyd admiringly.

“Thanks.” said Zoot. For today’s performance Zoot had decided to wear his new shirt, a black and white animal print which was a birthday gift from Janice along with the black braces Floyd had given him. Clipping the braces in place Zoot asked “You coming down to the studio to watch us in action?”

Floyd frowned. “Now, Zoot. How long have you been in a rock and roll band? You know there just ain’t no room for two bassists!” he stated firmly, before smiling. “Of course, I can’t deny that Clifford isn’t one hip dude!”

Zoot laughed. He knew Floyd wasn’t planning on coming today. “I hope Animal doesn’t kick off without you there to control him!” he sighed.

“Oh just feed him if he does.” answered Floyd. “Num-nums always works!” Floyd paused for a moment and looked Zoot up and down “You know, Janice is gonna be so happy when she sees you wearing her shirt!”

“You think?” asked Zoot with a smile before asking “Where is Janice at the moment? I haven’t seen her since breakfast.”

“Oh, she’s over visiting Richard,” Floyd answered then sighed. “She’s real worried about him. He seems to be getting sick so easily these days, so she wants to spend as much time with him as possible.” Zoot nodded his understanding. “However,” continued Floyd “Mama promised me she was gonna tune in tonight, so at least one person will be watching!” Both musicians burst out laughing. MuppeTelevision’s appalling ratings was an open secret among everyone and Zoot couldn’t help wondering if the ‘other gig’ excuse Flash gave to Kermit was a ruse to jump ship as Gonzo stuck his head in the room.

“Hi Floyd! Zoot, Fozzie is ready to give us a lift to the studio.” said Gonzo. “Is Animal ready?”

“I’ll just go find out!” said Floyd before shouting down the corridor “Animal? You ready?”

“Ready! Ready! Ready!” yelled Animal, running into the bedroom, drumsticks in hand.

“Good drummer!” said Floyd.

“We’ll be down in a sec Gonzo.” said Zoot. Gonzo nodded and left as Floyd pulled Animal to one side.

“Now, you remember what I told you earlier how I wasn’t coming to tonight’s show?” asked Floyd. Animal nodded and Floyd continued “So you remember to do exactly what Zoot tells you to. Okay?”

“O-kay!’ agreed Animal.

“In that case, we better not keep Fozzie waiting!” said Zoot, taking Animal’s chain from Floyd. “Let’s go!”

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” shouted Animal, nearly pulling Zoot off his feet as he charged down the stairs. Floyd laughed and waved goodbye. “Have fun!” he called.

“We’ll try!” replied Zoot, as he and Animal ran out the door of the boarding house to where Fozzie was waiting with Gonzo. Spotting them, Fozzie opened the back door of the Studebaker for them to get in. Zoot thanked Fozzie and climbed into the backseat with Animal, while Gonzo and Fozzie climbed in the front and Fozzie began the engine.

“And away we go! Next stop – MuppeTelevison Studios!” Fozzie sang out happily. Zoot smiled at Fozzie’s enthusiasm and settled back in the seat as Fozzie pulled out of the drive and headed to the freeway which would take them to the downtown studio. On arriving there, Kermit came out to greet them.

“Hi-ho everybody! Ready for tonight’s show?” Kermit asked happily.

“Sure am Kermit!” enthused Gonzo getting out of the car. “What audience demographics are we focusing on tonight?”

“Well, according to Waldo we need to focus more on…..” Kermit explained to Gonzo as they headed into the building, passing Clifford who was coming out to meet Animal and Zoot. The bassist shook his head as opened the door to let them out.

“Honestly man, I have no idea WHY Kermit puts so much stock into a floppy disk!” exclaimed Clifford.

“Oh, you know Kermit,” said Zoot, closing the car door and waving goodbye to Fozzie as he drove away. “He always wants to make sure everybody is happy.”

“Happy! Happy! Happy!” chanted Animal.

“That’s right Animal!” agreed Zoot with a grin as they followed Clifford into the building and upstairs to the control room. Kermit was frowning at a computer printout as they went in then he glanced up and spotted Zoot.

“Oh! Hello Zoot! Hi Animal!” exclaimed Kermit, dropping the paper. “I’m so sorry I didn’t speak to you when you arrived!”

“No problem Kermit, it’s cool!” replied Zoot.

“Cool! Cool!” shouted Animal, earning a yank on his chain from Zoot.

“Settle down Animal!” ordered Zoot. Turning to Kermit, who was looking more than a little worried about the prospect of Animal being without Floyd’s steadying influence; Zoot told him “It’s okay Kermit. Animal promised Floyd he would behave himself and do exactly what I say, right Animal?”

“Right!” affirmed Animal happily, as Zoot leaned in to whisper to Kermit, “And to be on the safe side, Floyd shortened his chain by a few loops!”

Kermit still looked dubious, however he sighed and said, “Well look, thanks for agreeing to coming in and have fun. I have to go check if Jim is ready for the live cross!” and with that, Kermit hurried from the control room.

“Yo Zoot! Where are you saxman?” shouted Clifford. “We’re ready to rock!”

“Right here! We’re coming!” called Zoot, pulling Animal along behind him.

“Animal hungry!” he complained.

“Don’t worry man! We’ll get Kermit to send us up some food!” Clifford reassured Animal as Zoot got him settled behind the drumkit and Kermit re-entered the control room.

“Alright everybody!” called Kermit “Jim is standing by. Broadcast begins in 2 minutes!”

“Okay, let’s get this show on the road!” shouted Beard and Solid Foam began rocking out the control room at MuppeTelevision, totally oblivious to Kermit’s annoyance.

The stars were out when Fozzie returned back to the Muppet Boarding House from the television studio after picking up Gonzo, Animal and Zoot. Kermit was going to stay at the studio a little longer to discuss what MuppeTelevision’s next move was with Jim. While Gonzo gazed at the night sky, Fozzie helped Zoot get a sleeping Animal out of the Studebaker. The front door opened and Floyd came down the steps to help them.

“What has he be eating man?” asked Floyd as he draped one of Animal’s arms around his shoulders. “I swear he’s gained 20 pounds since this morning!”

“Oh Kermit ordered us a load of sandwiches from Harry’s Deli and Animal devoured just about everything when it arrived.” explained Zoot, placing Animal’s other arm around his own shoulders.

“Hahaha! Delicious!” Animal mumbled in his sleep.

Floyd shook his head as he and Zoot half-carried, half-dragged Animal up the stairs. When they reached their room Floyd eased Animal onto the coat-hanger he hung himself from to sleep. Leaving him there Floyd headed out to the living room to join Zoot.

“Well that’s two asleep now! Janice is also in bed.” said Floyd, sitting down on the sofa next to Zoot. “She was thrilled to see you wearing her present!”

Zoot grinned and asked “How is she?”

“Happy to be able to spend a whole day with Richard but she was pretty worn out when she got back here.” replied Floyd.

“Did she say how Richard is?” asked Zoot

“Oh he wasn't too bad today." said Floyd, then frowned. "I’m really at a loss at how best to help her, man especially if something happens to him.”

“Well you know you can always talk to me. I'll do whatever I can to help. And I’m more than happy to listen.” Said Zoot “I promise not to fall asleep!”

Floyd chuckled. “I know man. Thank you. We’ll just take each day as it comes, same as always!” he said before yawning. “I think it’s time for me to turn in too! See ya in the morning!”

“Night Floyd!” called Zoot as Floyd headed into his bedroom and shut the door.

Zoot sighed as he changed into his pyjamas and then lay down on the sofa. With Animal, Floyd and Janice asleep and Doctor Teeth visiting friends in Texas, Zoot was the last one awake – a very rare occurrence indeed! Turning on the television, Zoot turned the volume down low with the remote so as not to disturb anybody and started searching for something to watch, finally settling on an old musical. Relaxing back against the pillows Zoot watched the movie for only a few minutes before drifting off himself.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This fic shows great promise. Really like all the details that show you're paying attention as a true :fanatic: would. Animal sleeping on the hanger, Kermit talking shop with Jim, Janice and the Mayhem worried about Richard... All good stuff, hope to read more whenever you're able to post it.

Kristine73

Reaction score
This fic shows great promise. Really like all the details that show you're paying attention as a true :fanatic: would. Animal sleeping on the hanger, Kermit talking shop with Jim, Janice and the Mayhem worried about Richard... All good stuff, hope to read more whenever you're able to post it.
Thank you very much! I am hoping to have another chapter up in a week or so. Glad you're liking it so far.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
A prologue and a chapter in, and already this fic has the makings of something awesome. The inter-band relationships are great, and I can't wait to see if you do anything else with that. What excited me most was that you're focusing on two of the lesser-talked-about Muppet shows, namely JHH. Just the notion of someone else taking even so much as a peek into that series and its characters is enough to get me on the edge of my seat. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find words if even characters like Digit, Vicki, or Lindbergh played even a minor part in the overall story. In my mind, it shows that other people actually care enough about them. (Love your reasoning for why Flash and the Solid Foam Drummer are absent, by the way.)

I can't wait for more!

Kristine73

Reaction score
A prologue and a chapter in, and already this fic has the makings of something awesome. The inter-band relationships are great, and I can't wait to see if you do anything else with that. What excited me most was that you're focusing on two of the lesser-talked-about Muppet shows, namely JHH. Just the notion of someone else taking even so much as a peek into that series and its characters is enough to get me on the edge of my seat. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find words if even characters like Digit, Vicki, or Lindbergh played even a minor part in the overall story. In my mind, it shows that other people actually care enough about them. (Love your reasoning for why Flash and the Solid Foam Drummer are absent, by the way.)

I can't wait for more!
Thank you for your lovely comment! I have very fond memories of watching JHH when it was first on. Sometimes it's very hard to believe so many years have passed.

Bridget

Reaction score
This is really amazing! You write very well, and the storyline is quite intriguing! I cannot wait to see where this story goes!