Muppet family relationships

superboober

Reaction score
Ever wonder if and how any of the myriad of Muppet characters might be related to each other? Here are some of my theories:

-I think Doc Bullfrog is probably Kermit's uncle. That would easily explain why Kermit would be spending Christmas Eve at the Riverside Rest.

-Fozzie and Chuck might be cousins (for obvious reasons), likely on Fozzie's father's side, as I can't really imagine Chuck as related to Emily Bear (unless she disowned him for his disreputable actions). Bobo and Bear might also be cousins in another bear family.

-I'm guessing at least one of the other chickens we usually see in clumps is a sister to Camilla. Although I doubt T.R. Rooster is directly related to Camilla, he possibly could be her godfather.

-Could Guy Smiley and Don Music be brothers? One of them could have changed their last name when they went into show business (my guess would be Smiley, as game show hosts are fairly notable for doing so).

-the various Big Bad Wolves we've seen on Sesame Street over the years could all be brothers. My guess is the blue one's the oldest brother, and Leonard's the youngest. The specific order of those in between is anyone's guess.

-Baskerville could be a distant cousin (third perhaps?) of Rowlf. This is more of a stretch, seeing how they look to be somewhat different species, but I think there's close enough similarity between them. The other dogs we all know probably aren't related, as they all seem to be completely different species.

Your thoughts?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Um, there's a couple of clearly defined familial relationships in the Muppet world and those that I know of are-

Kermit and his nephew Robin
Miss Piggy and her nephews Andy and Randy Pig
Emily Bear and her son Fozzie Bear
Granny Bird and her grandson Big Bird
Scooter and his sister Skeeter
Ernie and his niece Ernestine

Beyond that, other family members have appeared, but generally in more one-off appearances (ex. Bert's nephew Brad and Bert's brother Bart)
And a lot of the Sesame Street muppets' parents have shown up
(ex. Grover and his mom, Elmo and his mom and dad, Cookie Monster and his mom and sister, Herry and his mom and dad and grandma - and there may be others I forgot)

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
we've seen oscars niece.
rosetas entire family.
kermits moms body atleast and his brothers and sisters in kermits swamp years.
we've seen the other gonzos in muppets from space.
for all we know some of the muppet monsters could be related.
don't forget about uncle traveling matt and gobo!
I believe madam trash heaps rat buddies are related.
we've also seen fozies cousin on the muppet show.
I'm quite sure allot of the pigs on the muppet show had been related.
don't forget about leon and kermit while they hadn't realy been related he always did call kermit cousin lol
we've also seen some of rizos rat family.
and don't forget dr. van nueters mom is zelda rose!
bear in the big blue house that shows just like all about family lol.
we've also now seen elmos dad
prarie dawns mom
cookie monsters mom we've seen a few times.
I think we'ved coverd about everything now.
please do post ones i've over looked :smile:

P

Philip Kippel

It's often been thought that Droop and Nigel the Director could be related, since they both look alike.

Lenny the Lizard and the lizard from Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas could be related too. Maybe this one came into mind just from reading the fanfic "Who Framed Kermit the Frog", but who knows?

NeopetsVMKKelly

Reaction score
and in one muppet show episode, a bunch of pigs called themselves "The Flying Tortellini Brothers" (or something like that)

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I always thought Bert & Ernie were brothers? Or maybe I just always assumed that when I was little.

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
NeopetsVMKKelly said:
and in one muppet show episode, a bunch of pigs called themselves "The Flying Tortellini Brothers" (or something like that)
It was the Bouncing Borcellini Brothers. (Episode 107: Florence Henderson).

We've also seen the Swedish Chef's uncle (Danny Kaye!)

Could Sal be a distant cousin of Quango the wild Mountain Gorilla?

P

Philip Kippel

Grump and Big Mary Louise could be related as well, since they both look alike...and they both seem to have big attitudes.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Another clearly defined family relationship: Scooter and J.P. Grosse...even though I can't see any resemblance at all between the two, either in terms of appearance or personality.

Now this one is a VERY long shot...but I think Scooter bears a passing resemblance to Gobo. Makes you wonder if they could be distant cousins or something?
Then again, maybe it's just me. I am due for an eye exam on Friday, after all.