Muppet Christmas Carol DVD

Gonzo

Reaction score
Maybe someone at one of our baby showers will give our baby boy a widescreen television....THAT'S unconditional love, right there, baby!

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I just sent an e-mail off to Bill myself.

How disappointing. I think the key misunderstanding is in this line: "It's okay if it's Tickle Me Elmo, but not The Lion King." (Not an exact quote.) Muppet Christmas Carol is NOT Tickle Me Elmo. Neither I nor just about anyone I know over the age of 5 can tolerate watching Elmo for longer than five minutes. Meanwhile, I showed MCC to my parents a couple of Christmases back. There were no kids around...and we all LOVED it. As I said to Bill in my e-mail, saying MCC is just for kids is like saying The Simpsons are for toddlers just because they're cartoon characters.

(On a side note: a glorious exception to the Elmo rule was at Muppet Fest, where Kevin Clash was improvising in character and just trying to make us laugh. He was brilliant, and his cuteness was well offset by the other performers and characters. But it's just somehow different when he's on that little screen.)

Carey wasn't sure, but they thought there were only maybe two or three films out of 100 that didn't have widescreen. Actually, there was only *one* out of 100...and it was the one I wanted. "Wanted" being past tense.

Meanwhile, what use do I have (or anyone else, for that matter) for widescreen versions of Captain Ron and Ernest Goes to Jail?

I'm venting my frustrations here 'cause I'm among friends, but I was much more polite to Bill in the e-mail and I recommend everyone else do the same. Belligerent anger will just make them stop listening to us. At this point, there's still time to change if enough of us write in. Here's hoping.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I hear you. We have to somehow contact these execs.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is what I reported to the Henson Company. Maybe they can provide a better address at Disney to state the full-frame complaint:

Dear folks at Henson-
I really don't know who to voice this concern to, so I thought you might be able to help. Disney has recently chosen to release the remaining Muppet movie titles (The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island) only in the cropped format instead of allowing an alternate widescreen version to appear on the disc, The other four Muppet film DVDs (Columbia-Trisar released) provide the option for widescreen format and I don't see any reason for this terrible decision. I do not know if you have any influence over this release, but I (and many others) are very upset and most of us will likely pass on this full-frame version because we already have the cropped VHS copy and don't feel like supporting the under whelming treatment of the films. I have not found a sufficient email or physical address at Disney/Chris Carey to voice this complaint. I really hope there could be a mail order version of these at the very least. The films deserve a lot more respect than this poor treatment by Disney.
Thank you very much!
Muppet fan for life
-james carroll