Muppet Busts: Mint-in-box or open?

CyberSteak

Reaction score
Yes! Five per series would have been quite smart of them. But which 5??? I brought it up in another thread. Floyd was a given. How did they miss that? Strange Pork. Pops. Newsman. And I think it was you that mentioned Marvin wasn't it? That's five right there. Leaving out characters that were too small (rizzo, robin) or too big (sweetums). Considering what I spent...maybe I should be happy they stopped at 20. But it would have made so much sense since it was the 25th anniversary.

As far as displaying them. Ideally I'd like to set something up like the intro with the arches and such. With a Muppet show Logo that has Gonzo in the middle!!! Box it in with a plexy front. I like the idea of lighting it somehow. Hmmmm...I have some work ahead of me.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Arches would be cool. You might even be able to find small colums for them. Try hobby shops and big chain hardware stores. Then you can just cut the arches out of wood and run tiny light bulbs along them for the true muppet show look.

CyberSteak

Reaction score
I was thinking about the columns thing as well...I'm going to have to rig something up. I could just paint it all on a sheet of plywood. But the more dimension, the bed.

And I was checking out the logo. In order to have Gonzo in it, it'd have to be a pretty large scale. So I'm tinking of hanging that above the ach display. That way it wouldn't take up too much room.

Just the brain storming stages...can't do anything until I figure out how much room I'm going to need.

Another thought...weight may be an issue. 20 busts at roughly 5 lbs each...YIKES!!! The chef alone is listed at 9 lbs...9 lbs!!!

CyberSteak

Reaction score
I just calculated the weights off of Sideshows site...108 lbs total. They do say that the weights are estimated and include packaging and shipping material but still...

WiGgY

Reaction score
You should be able to support that much weight. It's all spread out. Just make sure to use corner braces.

CyberSteak

Reaction score
Oh yeah...they came out of the box.

I got my first shipment of bust in today!!! Beaker, Bunsen, Statler, Waldorf, and Gonzo!!! One look at them in my hands and there was no way I was going to keep them in that box. Sadly though...Statler's got to go back to be exchanged. There was two chips on the base right at the point where the figure is attached. But I was told they had more so...

And they are all numbered very low also...
Beaker 1347/5000
Bunsen 229/5000
Waldorf 48/5000!!!
Statler 940/5000 guess we'll see what the next one will be
Gonzo 988/5000

Now back to trying to figure out how to display them.
I'm thinking of just setting up two shelves. And then building a plexi glass cover with a top, sides, and front to go over top (but it up against the wall and it's covered). And on the front of the cover I could build the arches, pillars, and add the lights. I think that will accomplish several things.

1) Keeps the display fairly simple as far as build
2) Keeps the dust off
3) Allows them to be displayed nicely
4) Makes them easiy accessable if I want to take one out and show someone

I was looking at individual acrylic cases and found one site but the price was kinda high ($7/ which may not seem like much until you factor in quantity (20), shipping ($68), currency (US), duty, and taxes), wasn't a great quality, and wasn't a good size either (12 x 7.5 x 7.5). So unless anyone has suggestions for cases...

I wanted to put Gonzo in behind the logo but I think it'll be kinda tough and take up a fair bit of space. I'll keep that idea on the back burner.