Mr. Peabody and Sherman, The Movie

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Personally, I just want to see Hoppity Hooper get a respectable OFFICIAL release. I had to find out about it via cheap, crummy, copyright expired DVD's that look like they... NO that WERE taped off TV and sold in stores. That is such a rare gem of a Jay Ward series. Even Fractured Flickers (long out of print, I bet) get an official DVD release by a third party place.
I'd like to see a DVD of Crusader Rabbit myself. Or a "World of Jay Ward"-type release, including episodes of all of the Ward serie and unsold pilots. For serial series I'd prefer just all chapters of a storyline, plus one or two of each supporting segment.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This idea slightly terrifies me because the original is such a classic. And I doubt they'd be willing to make it as disturbing and hard hitting today.
Not to mention the fact you KNOW people whine about how preachy and liberal it is, and all true Americans throw large Dorito wrappers to the streets and refuse to pick up their dog's droppings all over the street.

I'm sorry, but I don't see anyone who isn't already pro-environment wanting to see this movie anymore than Seuss's Butter Battle Book making people vote for Dukakis or Mondale (whenever it was). For those of you who don't know, BBB was written directly out of the lame US/Russia Arms race both stubborn as a mule countries propagated instead of running their OWN countries. People who don't subscribe to one side of politics don't like being forced into messages by the other. Though, I sicken to the core that the environment is a political thing. But enough about that...

Cat in the Hat is a TERRIBLE movie (sorry, Snowth man).... I've watched a little of it myself one day, and I just couldn't watch any more. The Grinch movie, as loud and tacky as it was at LEAST had some thoughtful messages behind it. Not that I don't think the original and the Chuck Jones cartoon that followed infinitely superior... but the point that the Grinch was so fed up about the hypocrisy of the Whos instead of just being annoyed by their antics actually made the movie deeper than the Jim Carrey running around like an idiot-ness it could have been. I mentioned Horton somewhere else. It was a good film, but just not good as it could have been. Other than the dated references to Emo and Horton having Doug/Arthur like fantasy sequences, that is.... and honestly, Jim Carrey without his scthick is worse than him WITH his schtick. They could have got Matt Frewer at half the price... but Steve Carrel, Carol Burnet, and everyone else in the cast carried the film nicely. Still, Blue Sky isn't a bad studio, their movies aren't bad... just seem like they're prematurely started and the scripts need like 3 more rewrites to really be strong.

Loved Robots, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, when you think about it, Rocky and Bullwinkle aren't the only ones who like to do running Washington gags. Even Kermit's Swamp Years had one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually, when you think about it, Rocky and Bullwinkle aren't the only ones who like to do running Washington gags. Even Kermit's Swamp Years had one.
I would almost assume Rocky & Bullwinkle originated the gag, but then again puns like that have existed for centuries, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not only that, but Rocky and Bullwinkle was an homage to a LOT of other stuff back then; even the show's format was an homage to old serial cliffhangers (mostly Westerns I think) way back when.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would almost assume Rocky & Bullwinkle originated the gag, but then again puns like that have existed for centuries, lol.
When you do something enough times, it's a running gag, regardless of where it originated. It's just one of those deep fan things that they oddly didn't discuss in the book. Though, I'd say the movie could have used some more cameos from the SERIES and less from Hollywood. How cool would it have been to see Gidney and Cloyd pop down only to have Bullwinkle say "you're not in this movie" or something like that?

As for a Peabody and Sherman movie, I hope to NOT see references to every other time travel movie ever made... that would be too obvious. I can see the trailer using BTTF music. Or having some tie in to Bill and Ted (really... hearing internety fanficy rumors about that getting a third one...).

I hope they actually WATCH the first episode to get the origin RIGHT.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A good plotline for a Peabody and Sherman movie would be for them to travel in time but accidently wind up in the wrong date.

One thing I've wondered is how do they get back? They don't take the Wabac machine with them. It's possible that Peabody has time settings that instantly bring them back to the future, but then again it seems like they sometimes sleep over in the times they travel to (Robinson Cruesoe), and there's one episode where Sherman had to travel alone due to Mr. Peabody being sick, and kept coming back to ask Mr. Peabody for advice.

Regarding the R&B movie, it would have been cool if they'd have at least got more characters from the show to appear in the animated portions. Maybe cameos by Mr. Peabody and Sherman, Dudley Do-Right, and the fairy from Fractured Fairy Tales. Maybe even have Snidely Whiplash help Boris, Natasha, and Fearless Leader. A cameo by Dudley or Snidley would have been a funny way to get them to point out that they'd already been in a movie (Boris and Natasha could have also made that kind of comment, but the Boris and Natasha movie is quite obscure, while the Dudley Do-Right movie had come out a year before the Bullwinkle movie).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I've wondered is how do they get back? They don't take the Wabac machine with them.
That's something I've always wondered too.

I remember on that short-lived, under-rated Cartoon Network show Time Squad, they went back in time via a teleportation device, but to get back to their headquarters, Larry the Robot would teleport them back via a button in his circuits.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's something I've always wondered too.

I remember on that short-lived, under-rated Cartoon Network show Time Squad, they went back in time via a teleportation device, but to get back to their headquarters, Larry the Robot would teleport them back via a button in his circuits.
After watching a bunch of them, I cam to the conclusion that they just wind up walking through the same door that sent them there that was somehow always there and no one, especially the historical figures, know it's there. There is one episode, I forget which one, where that's distinctly obvious.