Movie-The Village

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
I agree with smeagol4prez, the previews made it out to be this wonderful film and I was excited to go see it and when it let out the "twist" I was soooo disappointed in it. I felt that the trailers were misleading as to the storyline.

I would wait for it to come out on video or either see it during the cheaper prices at the movies.

But everyone likes different things....that's why they made chocolate ice cream!!!

McFraggle

Reaction score
I think that Shymalan needs to move into other directions (film-wise) so that everyone doesn't expect a twist everytime they go to see his movies. This would probably lower our expectations.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, I think he may be at the point where he's trained his audience too well. There's only so far you can go in coming up with a very surprising but utterly believable ending.
Erin

Drum Eater

Reaction score
After a second viewing of "The Village" I have a lot to say...and it's all in defense of this wonderful film!
I admit, the first time I watched it I was somewhat dissapointed. I was expecting something that would scare me...and that way the trailers made the film out to be, it appeared it would be that way. The marketing for this film was it's only major flaw...and that's probably not even M. Night Shyamalan's doing.
The trailers and TV spots were made to attract an audience that wants to get scared by the film. The truth is, it isn't that type of movie. It's a drama, not a scary movie. Shyamalan has broken away from his previous stereotype from "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs" and done a down-to-earth drama.
Basically, the marketing made this movie out to be about the 'creatures' and the marks on the doors. Pretty much all of the creepy stuff...the truth is, it's about the characters. And the characters were perhaps the best I've seen in an original film (not based on something). Anyway, "The Village" is definitely Shyamalan's best work yet. It isn't like "The Sixth Sense" or "Signs" at all...it doesn't scare you. But it is a lot more human, and that will make this film last.