Monsterpiece Theater timeline speculation

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, Muppet Wiki now notes the first appearance of every Monsterpiece Theater segment. Speculation no more! https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Monsterpiece_Theater

So both The Sound of Music and Chariots of Fur premiered in season 14, near the end of that season. Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves definitely premiered in season 19. The rest I have mentioned in this thread before.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Even though I had already given up watching the show, I do remember getting a glimpse of a parody of M*A*S*H, called M*A*T*H in a July 1989 broadcast, while surfing the channel. I am not sure if that was a Canadian broadcast or something. The publication Sesame Street Unpaved does list M*A*T*H as a Monsterpiece Theater segment.

If it was a PBS broadcast, it must have aired sometime in January 1989, otherwise it was likely a Canadian broadcast, meaning the episode may have aired during the 1987-88 season.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Even though I had already given up watching the show, I do remember getting a glimpse of a parody of M*A*S*H, called M*A*T*H in a July 1989 broadcast, while surfing the channel. I am not sure if that was a Canadian broadcast or something. The publication Sesame Street Unpaved does list M*A*T*H as a Monsterpiece Theater segment.

If it was a PBS broadcast, it must have aired sometime in January 1989, otherwise it was likely a Canadian broadcast, meaning the episode may have aired during the 1987-88 season.
Sesame Street Unpaved mentions a few Monsterpiece Theater segments that the wiki doesn't have info on, including The Ticklish Patient. I wonder how likely it is that there's additional Monsterpiece Theater segments not yet noted on the wiki. Though with the wiki's now-complete season 10-13 and post-season 20 (aside from a few exceptions) guides, it would have had to have premiered in seasons 14-19. Of course there have been segments that were clearly produced for the domestic Sesame Street that have only aired internationally (some have been released online in English, some made their way to Play With Me Sesame), I wonder what the chances are that there would be segments made for the domestic show from 1969-1988 that have only been broadcast internationally. And since at least the 1998-1999 season, there have been segments that have only shown up in re-edited Summer reruns, I wonder if that ever happened during the '70s and '80s. Or maybe M*A*T*H exists but the book errored on it being Monsterpiece Theater.

Muppet Wiki hasn't done "quality articles" in a long time, I wonder if Monsterpiece Theater would qualify for "quality article" status now that we have all the firsts and pictures (depending on if there are any segments that we haven't found yet).

People on the Toughpigs forum are talking about Monsterpiece Theater, some are thinking that the majority of parodies during those years were Monsterpiece Theater, but there were plenty of parodies in the 1980s and 1990s that were not Monsterpiece Theater. Most song parodies were their own segments (only four Monsterpiece Theater segments are musical), none of the many game show parodies were Monsterpiece Theater, nor were recurring parodies like Miami Mice and Mysterious Theater (which would be redundant if part of Monsterpiece Theater). The '80s also brought us School in the Afternoon (which I think is a parody) and Hill Street Twos. Maybe the 1990s brought us a lot more parodies outside of Monsterpiece Theater, but it seems Monsterpiece Theater was more reserved for parodies of things with a cultural aesthetic, though there are some Monsterpiece Theater segments that feel a little out of place as part of Monsterpiece Theater (Conservation with My Father, Little Red Cookie Hood, ABCD Blue, maybe Dr. No). I was going to say that some of the '80s song parodies began with an MTV-style parody introduction, but then I realized that all such songs I can think of (A New Way to Walk, Wet Paint, The Letter N) were original tunes as opposed to parodies (and just the intros were MTV spoofs).