Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But when a man's religion become really frantic; when it is a positive torment to him; and, in fine, makes this earth of ours an uncomfortable inn to lodge in; then I think it high time to take that individual aside and argue the point with him.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
"Queequeg," said I, "get into bed now, and lie and listen to me."

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I then went on, beginning with the rise and progress of the primitive religions, and coming down to the various religions of the present time, during which time I laboured to show Queeqeug that all these Lents, Ramadans, and prolonged ham-squattings in cold, cheerless rooms were stark nonsense; bad for the health; useless for the soul; opposed, in short, to the obvious laws of Hygiene and common sense.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I told him, too, that he being in other things such an extremely sensible and sagacious savage, it pained me, very badly pained me, to see him now so deplorably foolish about this ridiculous Ramadan of his.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Besides, argued I, fasting makes the body cave in; hence the spirit caves in; and all thoughts born of a fast must necessarily be half-starved.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
This is the reason why most dyspeptic religionists cherish such melancholy notions about their hereafters.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
In one word, Queequeg, said I, rather digressively; **** is an idea first born on an undigested apple-dumpling; and since then perpetuated through the hereditary dyspepsias nurtured by Ramadans.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I then asked Queequeg whether he himself was ever troubled with dyspepsia; expressing the idea very plainly, so that he could take it in.