Mixed Feelings

Saironi

Reaction score
I talked to a friend of mine about "The Terrible Tunnel" and said it was the first episode where "kill" was used in the literal sense which gave her mixed feelings. "It's a show with cute puppets, but they use words like that". Anyone else feel the same way?

Saironi

Reaction score
No, no, no. I mean, they use the word "kill" in the literal sense when referring to the Gorgs, monsters or anything else that's potenially leathal. She thinks it's just shocking they'd put it in something meant for little kids.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I don't mind that the word kill was used in Fraggle Rock, it's better if kids learn about "bad" stuff from a source that explains it in a decent context rather than somewhere else.

baby sinclair

Reaction score
Its good that a kids show would bring up death after all its a natural process and kids eventually find out.

Saironi

Reaction score
No. They can say it, but they aren't allowed to show anyone or anything getting killed.

Emosewa

Reaction score
Well, also later they have the mudbunny 'die' , as well as when all the fraggles get poisoned, so some of the episodes run pretty deep. (sort of the point of the 'Marooned' episode ^_^) So this show is so much more then just a regular kiddy show, which is what made it great. They didn't lie and say everythign was always happy and wonderful, but luckily because of friendship and compassion things got better in the show, which was the point, I think. ^_^ Also the show puts in pretty big words , even a couple of words I to this day probably need to look up to know the exact meaning. But it just shows that it was a wonderful show that wasn't dumbed down or made all sugary and sweet constantly for those who wanted that. And yet it was still great for kids of all ages.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
I Agree Death Is Something That Happen And The Nudbunny Eps Was Done Right

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have no problem with death being mentioned on a kid's show, especially if it's trying to teach a moral lesson. We're way too careful with children nowadays, we don't want to expose them to anything scary or sad.

I've heard Fraggle Rock referred to as a cute little kids show before. Certainly it was cute, and it was a kid's show, but it was much more than that. Fraggle Rock could be very surreal, trippy even. In many episodes the real danger isn't losing your life, it's losing your mind, which is pretty advanced for a kid's show. Fraggle Rock showed how the mind can be utilized for good, and also manipulated for bad.

It's also true that Fraggle Rock often used big words. In one episode entitled, "Catch a Tail by the Tiger," Gobo sings a song to his friends about bravery and never giving up. One line in this inspirational song is as follows, "Stand up nice and straight. Don't capitulate. Courage lives and it's you!" (Note my signature :smile: ).

Uh...capitulate??? For the record, that oddly placed word means, "To give up all resistance" (dictionary.com). Even some of my fellow co-workers weren't sure of its meaning. After seeing that episode recently, I was initially shocked that they would put such a grown up word in a children's show. But it makes sense if you look at the big picture.

The child may not understand the funny word now. But fast forward a few years when the same child is now in High School and studying for the dreaded SATs. Suppose one of the test questions is "When a person is brave and determined, do they capituate?" His or her childhood memories of Gobo telling him or her to never give up and "DON'T capitulate" may just come in handy!