Miss Piggy build. 'Blanket Pig method'

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finally building something that I hope is going to be a Miss Piggy.
A year back, I built a practice head with blue foam for chair upholstery from Wal-Mart and hot glue. I used it as a test surface and tried some low grade home flocking which didn't turn out too well. I also built her eyes with circular blind spot mirrors from the dollar store, dollar store felt and fake eyelashes from Wal-Mart. I got busy with other things and put all of this stuff away in my cupboard. My next plan was to have a local sculptor make me a clay head, cast a mould from it, fill it with liquid foam, and then flock it but I just don't have time for this complicated route these days.
Several months later, I was at the salvation army thrift shop and I happened along a queen size blanket that looked exactly like flocked Miss Piggy skin. I brought it home and tucked it away. It's like a spandexy kind of blanket with 4 way stretch to it...I will eventually post a picture of its tag.
So I try to build something for me when I take time off for the holidays so the pig head is on my table! I've reworked my prototype and added the cheeks. To get the cheeks, I just cut the line for when they flow and popped them up...lifting them and hot gluing them in place.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Then, just rounded them out.

I covered her with the blanket and have been working on the stitching. The only thing that I did that you can't see is that I added some foam where her mouth meets her cheek to extend those areas on the sides of the mouth to hopefully get the flow properly. More pics coming...

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
This puppet build is really just meant to scratch a personal itch of mine....that sounds wrong.
My goal is to have a nice piece to display with my collection and to maybe have fun with now and then.

I also just simply need a pig and the good old $5000 plus price tag that some of us know of is simply not an option anymore so I will keep trying my 'blanket pig' method. :smile:

Smörebröd

Reaction score
Not too bad for your first try! I've never tried to build a puppet but I have a little atelier for building design furnitures and wooden sculptures. And what I can say is, that the first prototype always take a lot of time for building and also for getting the desired materials.
There are always a lot of mistakes, too.
When it is finished I'm often not really satisfied with it. But when I build a second one it goes on quite fast, because I know what to do, how to avoid mistakes and I already have the correct materials or know where I can get it.
Keep on and don't worry to much when something goes wrong. It's always a process of learning and when you find the time and the will to build a second one, I'm sure it will be absolutely great! And do remember: There should be fun all the time! :smile:
Keep on! Great Job up to now!

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Not too bad for your first try! I've never tried to build a puppet but I have a little atelier for building design furnitures and wooden sculptures. And what I can say is, that the first prototype always take a lot of time for building and also for getting the desired materials.
There are always a lot of mistakes, too.
When it is finished I'm often not really satisfied with it. But when I build a second one it goes on quite fast, because I know what to do, how to avoid mistakes and I already have the correct materials or know where I can get it.
Keep on and don't worry to much when something goes wrong. It's always a process of learning and when you find the time and the will to build a second one, I'm sure it will be absolutely great! And do remember: There should be fun all the time! :smile:
Keep on! Great Job up to now!

Thanks! You're right about second and third versions going faster but I won't have the time to do that until maybe next Christmas when I build something for me.

I finished the stitching last and it looks so good, I'm almost sad that I didn't use Antron fleece. Oh well, I'm sure if I had it would have started a new chapter of trying to find the right colour of fleece.

Speaking of colour, it is very hard to get a picture where the colour looks accurate. I find that the colour looks right to me when she is in front of me but looks a little different in the pics. Oh well...I guess the true test will be how she looks when she is completed.