Miss Piggy and Fozzie

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Now Even though Fozzie and Miss Piggy were both performed by Frank Oz, I seem to remember seeing them together quite a few times on The Muppet Show, or mabye I'm thinking of Muppet Babies. But I seem to remember an episode of the Muppet Show when Fozzie did something to make Piggy mad, and she was chasing Fozzie all around the backstage area. Another episode I remember Fozzie Poured Flour all over Kermit and Fozzie said "That was the punch" and Piggy said "No Fozzie......This is the Punch" and gave him a Karate chop.
:mad: :embarrassed: :mad: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
You're absolutely right about both scenes!The first one you mentioned was from Cleo Lane's episode,where Fozzie's mother was in the audience,so he wanted to make sure she saw her son on stage.So determined was he,that he snatched Miss Piggy's Pigs In Space outfit,and appeared on Pigs In Space wearing a blonde wig to go with his outfit.Then Miss Piggy approached Kermit backstage,telling him she'll make Fozzie into bear burger.That's when she chased Fozzie around in anger.As for Fozzie's mother,it turned out that she had fallen asleep during the show.The other scene you mentioned was from Candice Bergen's episode,during the show's first season.Fozzie kept pulling practical jokes on Kermit throughout the episode.Until the last one with the flour,were Miss Piggy gave him the punch.In that scene however,Miss Piggy had a different voice.Kermit managed to get Fozzie back at the end of the show,with a practical joke of his own.He threw a cream pie in Fozzie's face.I also remember them together in Kaye Ballard's episode,where Fozzie asks the audience"Did you hear the one about the fat pig?",to which Miss Piggy replies"Did you hear the one about the flat bear?"and gives him a karate chop. :embarrassed: :mad:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed from reading the first season guides that since Piggy was performed by Richard Hunt periodically, it was easier for her to interact with Fozzie who was played by Frank Oz.

I do recall they did interact with each other even when Frank performed both of them: According to the guides on this page Frank performed Piggy full-time in the Kaye Ballard episode. There's also the "Vet's Hospital" sketch where Fozzie is the patient. I'm not referring to the first one with Richard's Piggy. I mean the one with Rich Little. (Which I believe is also the first episode where Janice becomes the famous valley girl that we all know today) They also talk to each other in the Kenny Rogers episode. Also, I think you see quite a bit of interaction between the two characters in the movies.

jediX

Reaction score
Plus they often dub voices, too. I think most, if not all, of the Oz characters were dubbed in 'Muppets From Space'.

rexcrk

Reaction score
That's what they did for the "I Hope That Somethin' Better Comes Along" song in The Muppet Movie between Kermit and Rowlf right?

jediX

Reaction score
Probably, its not really possible to sing as two different characters at the same time :wink:

Ryan

Reaction score
jediX said:
Probably, its not really possible to sing as two different characters at the same time :wink:
Rowlf and Kermit were recorded seperately and mixed together for that track.

WiGgY

Reaction score
It's kind of like when Homer talks to his dad. Both are played by the same guy, he just switches the voice. With the Simpsons, the guy just switches back and forth between characters. Frank Oz did the same thing when he dubbed MFS. Notice how Fozzie and Animal look like they are talking at the same time at one point, but you only here one.

On TMS, they would pre-record stuff like this and play it while the performer moved the character's mouth. It happens a lot. Check out MTM when Piggy and Fozzie talk to Kermit. It's seemles in the movies usually.

BTW, anyone else notice that Frank has 3 main characters in TMS and 3 main characters on Sesame? Weird.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
It's kind of like when Homer talks to his dad. Both are played by the same guy, he just switches the voice.
Yeah, I was wondering how that was done in cartoons whether the dialog was pre-recorded for each character or if it's just the actor switching the voice.

There are cases where people who have the same voice talk at the same time
(Especially with Mel Blanc in Warner Bros. cartoons) so I would assume the dialog would be pre-recorded in that case, but is that something that's done in general?