Miley and Demi

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But parents should not be forcing "role model" status onto these tween celebrities after they are done and over with whatever little kid thing it was. Miley is a teenager doing things that *some* teenagers do. You can't really fault her for that

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know that, and when that happens, that makes those like her actually want to tarnish their images and try to get out from under that scope so that won't have to be obligated to keep acting all pristine and squeaky clean because millions of little girls end up looking up to them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But parents should not be forcing "role model" status onto these tween celebrities after they are done and over with whatever little kid thing it was. Miley is a teenager doing things that *some* teenagers do. You can't really fault her for that
Well, it's a two-way street...

When it comes to the female demographic at least, little girls really could use some positive role-models, because let's face it, when it comes to girl-power in the media, it's all about sexualizing and growing up way too fast, which is pretty much what Drtooth already covered... so for something like Hannah Montana to come along, being a wholesome, positive, and decent figure, I can see where parents would want their little girls who look up to someone like that, THEN unfortunately, Miley Cyrus is like every other girl her age and older
Combining that together...

Like I said before, I HATE the term role model. People are humans, they have flaws, they screw up, they have free will. Role Model implies "God that we have to follow the example of." And then once they do something stupid and human, they're all the sudden their history's greatest monsters. Look at Tiger Woods. We wanted to make him some super human super hero of righteousness because he plays a sport (technically it's an issue of being the first not an old white guy to play that sport), and then he basically bonked a bunch of groupies (who WERE planning to make money off of him somehow) while he was married, and suddenly, he's worse than Hitler. And I'm not making a goofy overexaggeration... our stupid culture treats some famous guy getting some worse than genocide because we're SOOOO over-reactionary. That turned into a media crapstorm.

However, they become role models for a reason. They initially set a good example of following dreams, applying themselves, and some sort of imaginary clean living. It's unfair to compare a pop star to sports stars because, let's face it... Sport Stars have it worse. other than said Tiger reference... that Olympic swimmer who smoked pot that one time. It's like he killed a bunch of puppies. You watch That 70's Show, and it's ALL about teenagers on pot. That's what the circle is. And the most laughable thing... when they trade players to other teams. Johnny Daimon (or however you spell it) was made into freakin' Jesus when he was with the Sox (I'm in Boston... this is NOT an overexaggeration. It's...all...freakin'...true), and then when he left to go to the Yankees it was like... I dunno... it was like Batman joined the Legion of Doom, killed Superman and Wonder Woman in psychotic ways, and there was no God.

But when it comes to television characters...

• No one is mentally able to separate a character from the actor, apparently.
  • There are actually very few positive female role models in shows for girls, but for some reason we have to have strong women in boy's cartoons... which is organic if you have a super hero team... but that's STILL classified as a boy's show
  • Sometimes it's not really about role models as being relatable. That's why so many kid's cartoons are about kids, that's why Elmo's all over Sesame Street
  • Kids DO take things away from what they watch... it's just that parents always claim it's the wrong thing.
  • Besides... characters that we should follow the example of are usually the lamest characters on the show. The ones with huge gaping flaws are usually the ones we find interesting for multiple reasons.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know what irritates me? How these child stars, even as they grow up, are "forced" into being "role models" by parents with double standards who let the TV raise their kids but are the first to freak out when something they don't like happens involving said stars.
What parents really need to teach is a bit of tolerance and forgiveness. The people you admire aren't always going to behave exactly the way you'd like them to. And sometimes they will make mistakes. That doesn't mean you can't still admire their work (of course there are extreme exceptions to this rule, but again they are extremes, heh). And as parents it is your responsibility to make sure your kids don't copy bad behavior just because they see someone else doing it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Took the words right out of my mouth, Herald.

There's the person and their creation/work/character/accomplishments.

Like I said, I can't look at Wonder Woman the same way again... but frankly, I was never a fan (more of a fan of the women of X-Men as far as female super heroes go). If you ignore his weird private life, he still created one of the most beloved comic book characters of all time.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Combining that together...

But when it comes to television characters...

• No one is mentally able to separate a character from the actor, apparently.
Thats what I was trying to get at but didn't know how to word it

Drtooth

Reaction score
I said that before too... but yeah.

There are things I'm actually happier not knowing. But it doesn't kill characters for me. The behind the scenes problems Northern Calloway had are not painting my thoughts about Sesame Street's David. Not even in an ironic hipster reads Cracked articles too much type of way.

We all have demons... some do a better job hiding them than others. Then there's those who are so lucky that their demons are so miniscule and trivial that it doesn't matter.

People are only human and prone to screwing up. You have to do something unspeakably bad for me to not see you otherwise.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Reminds me of a Hey Arnold episode where Arnold meets one of his favorite authors and sees that she's become a bitter old recluse disillusioned with her sappy stories, but Arnold still loves her work regardless. This inspired her to create a new story for the first time in over 10 years based on that event.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Reminds me of a Hey Arnold episode where Arnold meets one of his favorite authors and sees that she's become a bitter old recluse disillusioned with her sappy stories, but Arnold still loves her work regardless. This inspired her to create a new story for the first time in over 10 years based on that event.
I remember that too, and IIRC, there were actually a few episodes like that... I recall one where Phoebe wins a contest to have dinner and mingle with her favorite pop star, whom she finds out to be a big hack who doesn't even do his own vocals and lip syncs to all of his songs, and is pretty much a big egotistical jerk, which actually intrigues Helga, who didn't like him in the first place. Then I believe there was another episode where Eugene is disappointed to find out his TV hero isn't as great as he appears to be, then sudden goes all gangsta in revolt to being lied to, which rubs off on another little kid who surprisingly looked up to him as an example.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm comparing it to "music" that glorifies Pimps (we know what they really are) and smacking hos. I'd rather kids listen to real music, but I'd rather them listen to something harmless and age appropriate than something that promotes violence on that level. And I'm NOT a censorship kinda guy.
I just think mindless Pop like Bieber is harmful in its own way. It encourages the notion that the only thing young girls are good for is screaming for some vapid pretty boy fad.