Margaret Hamilton on Sesame Street

bigbird

Reaction score
I need someone to set the record straight. did Margaret Hamilton make a guest appearance on SS and reprise her role as some sort of wicked witch like from The Wizard Of Oz? I thought I remember something involving her and David and a dispute with her broom that she wanted back which David had but would not give it back until she asked for it nicely. Was it in fact her or just someone playing a similar role?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I have heard from some other MC members who were watching the show back then, that was really Margaret Hamilton who appeared on the show. I heard she also played a lot of mean tricks on some of the other charachters. She put a big nose on Oscar, pulled out Big Bird's Tail Feathers and Electricuted Maria with her broom stick. Even though this episode is from the 70's it's hard to believe Margaret Hamilton came on as the Wicked Witch of the west, since The Wizard of Oz is from 1939. She must have been very old at the time.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember her on Sesame Street, but she did come on Mister Rogers. He showed her with and without her witch makeup in order to help kids not be afraid of her.

azest4

Reaction score
I just met Mr. Caroll Spinney tonight and asked him his favorite memory of the past 41 years.

He said the time that Margaret Hamilton reprised her role as the Wicked Witch of the West (the only time, he said).

She flew on her broom over Sesame Street and fell off. The broom landed in front of Mr. Hooper's Store and Big Bird figured he should use it to sweep the street there.

The Witch thought she'd change herself into a sweet old woman to get the broom back. When Mr. Hooper saw her (I love this part) he invited her in for a cup of coffee. (now this was the days when Margaret Hamilton did the tv commercials for coffee...was it Maxwell House or Folger's?)

The sweet old woman said to Mr. Hooper, "I don't LIKE coffee!"

Caroll Spinney was a joy, as was his wife, Debra. I'm so glad I met them. :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I can remember a REALLY really old post, the episode may have been pulled after its initial airing due to many factors... scaring children being a small part of that piece. So that could be the reason it's draped in obscurity.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I have heard so much about this, I would love to see footage of it. Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorite movies and I love Margaret Hamilton. She reprised the role again in the 70's on Paul Lynde's Halloween Special along with Billie Hayes as Witchiepoo and KISS. 1976 I believe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This would be great if SS made this episode available somewhere, be it in clips on their own site, or haggling to get another Old School style set out there... This episode shouldn't be lost to the ages because kids got scared of a movie character having a cross over event. It's not like they got Jason here. :eek:

After all, Wizard of Oz was one of Jim's favorite films.

Besides, exposing kids to This on Sesame Street was a LOT scarier than any wicked witch of the whatever!

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
I remember this episode scaring the daylights out of me--especially the thought of the Witch turning Big Bird into a feather duster (that spewed tons of feathers all over the street)!