Lord of the Rings

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Party_Animal said:
Has anyone seen the extended version(s) of The Fellowship and/or The Two Towers? My father go them for me a couple days ago and they're REALLY good. :big_grin: There is a few things from the book added to the Fellowship. Like the Wood Elves in the begining when Frodo and Sam had just left Hobbiton. Though I would have liked to have seen them put Tom Bombadil in the movies. I think that would have been funny. :zany:
Yeah, the extended editions are great! The Two Towers DVD added so much, I thought, especially with Farimir and with Merry and Pippin, who practically disappeared in the theatrical release. There was so much good stuff they cut out of Fellowship, even with the extended edition, and I had the most complaints about that film even though I loved it. Tom is fun, but I can understand why they cut him out - I guess he was pretty much the first thing they decided to exclude - because he really doesn't have much to do with the rest of the book. I guess if I could have just one scene added, it would probably be Sam getting Bill the Pony in Bree. As it is, Bill only gets half a minute in the spotlight as Sam is letting him go outside Moria, and we never even find out in <b>Return</b> if he made it back. I'd kinda like to see that added to <b>Return</b>, but it really didn't set up the relationship properly in the first film for that resolution in the third.
Erin

jediX

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Hehe, I took the quiz a few days ago and discovered that I am Gandalf. I'm always getting people into trouble and then abandoning them! :stick_out_tongue: I'm not sure how accurate that is... Though I would ordinarily be thrilled to be compared with Gandalf!
Erin
Hehe, I got Sam.

Baby Animal

Reaction score
I got Aragon and have an acute hydrophobia.

Gotta go home and take a shower....

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
My alternative ending

First, this post contains SPOILERS--so don't read if you haven't seen the movie or read the books (and want to be surprised).

Anyway, I always interpreted the ending of LOTR a bit differently. I've read the books three times and just saw the ROTK movie a couple weeks ago. When I read the books, my interpretation was that Gollum was sort of a hero. When Frodo is unable to drop the Ring in the Crack of Doom, the Smeagol side of Gollum's personality takes over long enough to heroically dive (w/ Ring) into the Crack of Doom. In other words, Smeagol sacrifices himself. Thus, Gollum achieves some redemption and the message is that even a creature like Gollum was still capable of good in the face of ultimate evil.

The movie basically has Gollum greedily try to take the Ring and fall w/ it to his death. Now, my question is did anyone else interpret Gollum as a hero? Anyone at all? I realize it's kind of out there (and who am I to disagree w/ Tolkien's writing) but I guess I prefer MY ending...lol.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I always liked Gollum and felt that he had great potential for good. I like your interpretation of his final moment very much, but that is not how I interpreted it. It seems to me at that point in the story all three of the key players had failed: Frodo and Gollum to keep from being overpowered by the Ring, and Sam to prevent Frodo from succumbing. I don't think there were any noble intentions involved when Gollum fell, but it was an accident that was fated to happen, grandly orchestrated out of the kindness and compassion shown him by Bilbo and Frodo. I still think of it as a redemption of sorts, though unconscious on Gollum's part. His feet did for him what his heart could not. :halo:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
It is interesting how varied the opinions and interpretations of Tolkien fans are. One thing I've noticed in a lot of reviews I've read by fans of the book has been great disappointment over the omission of the Faramir and Eowyn romance angle. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who never liked that angle much in the first place. Aragorn and Arwen never thrilled me either, but it always seemed to me that Faramir and Eowyn were just settling for each other, or more to the point, she was settling for him and making that clear so that he wound up feeling like a loser again... :frown:
Erin