Looking for reticulated foam blocks

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be building some puppets soon and I was hoping to find some blocks (not sheets) of reticulated foam. The ones at Project Puppet are sold out (for now, anyway).

What I'm really hoping to find/order are some 12x12x12 cubes of the stuff (or something comparable in volume). I'd like to carve the heads (or at least jaws) out of this foam if possible. I've actually seen a Fat Blue in person and it sure looks like his head was carved from a single piece of foam (unless the head was made in pieces and was expertly glued together, which wouldn't surprise me). I wondered the same thing about the live hand Orange Gold (Guy Smiley-shaped) puppet I saw.

In an interview I watched some time ago, Ed Christie described carving a saber toothed tiger (head) from a block of foam. That's what I'd like to do: get good sized blocks of the stuff, then go all "Edward Scissorhands" on it. I've got my Antron fleece to cover it, some eyes and other supplies.

So, would anyone know a reliable seller of reticulated foam blocks in the US? I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.