Looking for a reference on a puppet maker!

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the works of Oliver at www.oliverscreatureshop.com? I am wanting to commission a replica from his studio but want to know if anyone has used him before? His site is great, but he is a bit expensive. Not that I am afraid to pay for a great replica, just want to make sure before I go forward with it.

Has anyone here purchased a puppet from him? or is there some other puppet masters I should look at?

Thanks!
:eek::confused:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the works of Oliver at www.oliverscreatureshop.com? I am wanting to commission a replica from his studio but want to know if anyone has used him before? His site is great, but he is a bit expensive. Not that I am afraid to pay for a great replica, just want to make sure before I go forward with it.

Has anyone here purchased a puppet from him? or is there some other puppet masters I should look at?

Thanks!
:eek::confused:
what is it you are trying to have replicated?i guess it all depends?

rickly

Reaction score
Oliver's Creature Shop is just another in a long list of aliases for Michael Lisa, formerly Vault of Puppets, notorious Muppet knock-off seller on ebay, recently named in a lawsuit by Disney for intellectual property rights violations.

AVOID!

Rick

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
Oliver's Creature Shop is just another in a long list of aliases for Michael Lisa, formerly Vault of Puppets, notorious Muppet knock-off seller on ebay, recently named in a lawsuit by Disney for intellectual property rights violations.

AVOID!

Rick
I will say I did find his add originally by an ebay ad, but people sell replicas of props/puppets all the time. Has this person actually swindled someone?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The guy is being sued by Disney because of replicas (as Rickly already explained). That should tell you what you need to know.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
yeah , i responded before i checked the link,

Rickly , and Andrew are correct , same puppets , and pictures as the numerous Knockoffs we have all seens,

A real shame since some of his original work, and customer orders are really nice, but hate to say it , until the leagl issues are worked out i would advise caution,

Of course if you were looking to have a un-liscened replica made, you will not be finding much assitance form Rickly, Andrew or myself.

MGov

Reaction score
I will say I did find his add originally by an ebay ad, but people sell replicas of props/puppets all the time.
No, it doesn't happen "all the time". It is copyright infringement and it is illegal.

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
No, it doesn't happen "all the time". It is copyright infringement and it is illegal.
Under that logic you can say anyone who makes a puppet in the style of a muppet is breaking the law, even if it isn't an exact copy. Marvel Comics went down this logic and eventually lost.

You can't tell me that people who make puppets for a living don't use muppets as a reference for some of there styles. There are several Monster Muppet style puppets on ebay right now that any lawyer could make a case is a Muppet knock off.

I was just asking if anyone had a reference to this gentleman's work, and seem to have gotten only information about him being sued. I guess no one here has actually done business with the guy.

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
yeah , i responded before i checked the link,

Rickly , and Andrew are correct , same puppets , and pictures as the numerous Knockoffs we have all seens,

A real shame since some of his original work, and customer orders are really nice, but hate to say it , until the leagl issues are worked out i would advise caution,

Of course if you were looking to have a un-liscened replica made, you will not be finding much assitance form Rickly, Andrew or myself.
Thank you very much. Do you have a website or examples of your work?