Lips is Back!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I don't even know what Lips sounds like. I researched him a lot when while working on his action figure, but has he ever said anything other than mumble something? I feel like such a bad fan. :embarrassed:
He sang one line in the Barnyard Boogie number ("Well the barnyard was jumpin', Everybody's having a fling)" and did one of the "And me!"'s during the closing credits of GMC.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... On the subject of Lips's voice...

If you listen to the song Barnyard Boogie, the following lines are the Mayhem's trumpeteer.
"Well, the barnyard was jumpin'.
Everybody havin' da fling."

Hope this helps. :cool:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't even know what Lips sounds like. I researched him a lot when while working on his action figure, but has he ever said anything other than mumble something? I feel like such a bad fan. :embarrassed:
All I can remember is the "And Me" line being muttered in a gravelly voice at the end of GMC... think Christian Bale when he says in his grave tone "I AM BATMAN!" Sorta like that. Least that's how I remember it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
If you go to youtube and type in Electric Mayhem or something to that extent, you'll see the song "Barnyard Boogie". You can watch the band play and sing and watch Lips saw a line or two.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I wouldn't quite go that far. His silence has been a defining element of his character - in his entire history he's only spoken (or sung) twice. Like Zoot, he seems to be the type that expresses himself better with music than dialogue. Lobbying for Lips to have lines would be like demanding Sully starts speaking.
Well, I know. I had kinda just said that as a joke.:wink:

But yeah- Lips has had a few sparse moments of dialogue here and there. But his silence is certainly part of his character, similar to Zoot- though Zoot speaks a lot more than Lips and even so it's still not that much.:cool:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow! He is pretty loud and distinct here. I would have liked to see him more developed. I wonder why he didn't prominently feature with the Mayhem in MTM?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Wow! He is pretty loud and distinct here. I would have liked to see him more developed. I wonder why he didn't prominently feature with the Mayhem in MTM?
Since Steve Whitmire gave Lips a Louis Armstrong type voice and since Steve was young at the time, he thought people of the black persuasion would be offended anytime Lips would say something, so he opted the character not to say anything and just play the trumpet.

Lips is briefly seen in the wedding part in MTM. As to why he wasn't with the rest of the band in that movie, who knows? Maybe he does freelance with the Mayhem every once and a while.

matleo

Reaction score
I think before Night Life in GMC, he was the one who said: "How 'bout a little traveling music?"

It could have been Floyd, though but it didn't sound as raspy or Floyd-ish. XP

yeah, that line is definitely delivered by Steve Whitmire. I'm thinking that since GMC was made after TMS and they hadn't really developed him, Steve used his few lines in GMC to experiment with something other than the Louis Armstrong.

--=Matt

minor muppetz

Reaction score
yeah, that line is definitely delivered by Steve Whitmire. I'm thinking that since GMC was made after TMS and they hadn't really developed him, Steve used his few lines in GMC to experiment with something other than the Louis Armstrong.
And it's a bit awkward that he spoke when he wasn't even on-screen. If he was a fairly major character it'd be alright, but if people didn't think it was Floyd I wonder if they would have wondered whow as speaking the line.