Lily Tomlin Appearances on Sesame Street

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a fan of Lily Tomlin, and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me either remember (or find) the different clips of Lily on SS.

Here's the ones I remember:

As herself:

Singing (and signing) "Sing"...in 1975 I think.

As Edith Ann:
Talking about roller skating with Herry Monster
Talking about making a big sandwich with things from the fridge

As Ernestine:
As Oscar's operator (from the 1990's, I think)
Her appearance on "Sesame Street Stays Up Late"

Were there any other Lily appearances? I've seen a couple on Noggin, but does anyone remember any more?

Convincing John

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I saw her in 1988 as a Shoesalesman when Maria and Grungetta went to the shoestore so Maria could get a new pair of shoes. First she tried to try on a Baby shoe and she tried squeezing it onto Maria but it wouldn't fit, then she tried this Humungous shoe that was way too big for Maria's foot. Grungetta thought this was really funny of course. She actually said she was glad she decided to come to Maria. Then a few scenes later every single shoe box in the store and pair of shoes was scattered all over the store because Maria had tried just about every pair on and nothing seemed to fit. Grungetta really ate this up. She loved the fact that Maria was getting frustrated, and also that there was a big pile of empty boxes and shoes everywhere. Finally there was 4 pairs of shoes left, and Lily sang the 3 of these things song. Maria finally chose a pair she liked that fit her just perfectly. Grungetta was upset but Oh well.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
Hey,

I'm a fan of Lily Tomlin, and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me either remember (or find) the different clips of Lily on SS.

Here's the ones I remember:

As herself:

Singing (and signing) "Sing"...in 1975 I think.

As Edith Ann:
Talking about roller skating with Herry Monster
Talking about making a big sandwich with things from the fridge

As Ernestine:
As Oscar's operator (from the 1990's, I think)
Her appearance on "Sesame Street Stays Up Late"

Were there any other Lily appearances? I've seen a couple on Noggin, but does anyone remember any more?

Convincing John
It was Sing Sing a Song and she was sitting on the stairs of the apartment building and was signing and signing it to some kids who were apparently deaf.

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
I believe Lily Tomlin's appearance as the operator on "Sesame Street Stays Up Late" was in 1993. I used to have that on video tape, but I'm not quite sure what happened to it.

~Dana~

Splurge

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I saw her in 1988 as a Shoesalesman when Maria and Grungetta went to the shoestore so Maria could get a new pair of shoes. First she tried to try on a Baby shoe and she tried squeezing it onto Maria but it wouldn't fit, then she tried this Humungous shoe that was way too big for Maria's foot. Grungetta thought this was really funny of course. She actually said she was glad she decided to come to Maria. Then a few scenes later every single shoe box in the store and pair of shoes was scattered all over the store because Maria had tried just about every pair on and nothing seemed to fit. Grungetta really ate this up. She loved the fact that Maria was getting frustrated, and also that there was a big pile of empty boxes and shoes everywhere. Finally there was 4 pairs of shoes left, and Lily sang the 3 of these things song. Maria finally chose a pair she liked that fit her just perfectly. Grungetta was upset but Oh well.
Very, very close, but a different Edith. That was actually Andrea Martin, decked out in her Edith Prickley outfit. That character with a loud personality and a wardrobe to match was on SCTV, maybe originated from that show.