Le Muppet Show

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I haven't listened to it myself but did they get Aznavour himself to dub it.Or would that be too easy?

David French

Reaction score
They did get Aznavour to do it; I was most surprised at that. Interestingly, during the talk spot he speaks in English the line "Your oil is leaking and your transmission is sagging." He didn't re-dub his singing voice though.

As far as I could tell, it didn't sound like an older Aznavour, so I wonder if the French soundtrack is the original one from when the series first aired in France.

Marky

Reaction score
David French said:
I think it's rather idiotic of you to make that comment, particulary when you consider that I DID expect them to overdub the guest stars singing so that it was also in French. If the show had been made in France and was being translated into English, wouldn't you expect everything to be translated into English, even the guest's song(s)? I know I would.

I omitted to mention that also in the Ruth Buzzi episode Wayne and Wanda's singing wasn't dubbed into French.

Watched the Rita Moreno episode in French and some interesting observations can be made here - in the panel sketch the line "Don't you understand my English?" was changed to "Don't you understand my French?", the Swedish Chef sketch was dubbed into French and even Rita's Spanish was translated into French during the "Fever" number.

Not in French were "Fever", the Muppahones' singing and "Goody-Goody".
Hoo-boy... where do I begin here?

Mr. French, ever been to the opera? Would you walk out of a performance because they were singing in Italian and didn't provide headsets with some off-stage translator singing the lyrics translated into la langue francais?! :crazy:

Singing is a form of art, you see. A singer's voice is their instrument - no matter what language. To over-dub a singers voice just to 'Frenchify' it, in my opinion, is ludicruous.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that when a guest singer is performing on the show, that you're offended if they don't substitute the singer's voice just so you can hear French lyrics???

David French

Reaction score
Marky said:
Are you seriously trying to tell me that when a guest singer is performing on the show, that you're offended if they don't substitute the singer's voice just so you can hear French lyrics???
Who said I was offended? Certainly not me. I thought that they would re-dub the singing voices, considering that most of the songs performed by the Muppets themselves had been re-dubbed and that this was the soundtrack for those who speak French. They re-dubbed the guests speaking voices so why not their singing voices? It would have been quite interesting if Aznavour had re-dubbed his singing voice on his episode.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I can see your point David and Marky I can also see where you are coming from. Things have been a little bit misunderstood between you and I'm sorry for you Marky if you were offended by David.
I do personally think that idiotic was a little bit harsh David. I would have said silly myself. It has a bit of a softer edge to it somehow.
But let's not fight please:smile:
I hope the two of you understand what each other was trying to say a bit better and even if we disagree about some things we can still have fun chatting together and discussing what our various opinions are.
Okay my friends?:smile:

Marky

Reaction score
I wasn't angry or offended at all, just blown away if Daivd was offended. It's all water off my back! I'm Canadian - language debates are my specialty!

Bill Bubble Guy said:
I can see your point David and Marky I can also see where you are coming from. Things have been a little bit misunderstood between you and I'm sorry for you Marky if you were offended by David.
I do personally think that idiotic was a little bit harsh David. I would have said silly myself. It has a bit of a softer edge to it somehow.
But let's not fight please:smile:
I hope the two of you understand what each other was trying to say a bit better and even if we disagree about some things we can still have fun chatting together and discussing what our various opinions are.
Okay my friends?:smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That's alright Marky. I trust you're happy as well David.