Last movie you watched

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High on the tv the other day. :smile: I hadn't seen that all in one go before, so that was exciting.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High on the tv the other day. :smile: I hadn't seen that all in one go before, so that was exciting.
Very fun movie. I used to have a teacher who behaved and taught just like Mr. Hand. I also had a Spicoli-esque classmate but not in the same class. That would have been just too amusing.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
Very fun movie. I used to have a teacher who behaved and taught just like Mr. Hand. I also had a Spicoli-esque classmate but not in the same class. That would have been just too amusing.
Haha, YES, Spicoli is my hero. It's hard to believe that's Sean Penn!

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Haha, YES, Spicoli is my hero. It's hard to believe that's Sean Penn!
Isn't that transformation just crazy? Watching him in a role like Mystic River then going back and watching Fast Times it is very humorous to compare him then and now.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was a fun comedy I liked from the early 80's. I also really liked the Steve Martin movies of the early 80's ("The Jerk" [1979 actually], "The Man With Two Brains", "The Lonely Guy", and "All of Me"). Well last evening I watched "All of Me". First time I saw it since back then. I picked that one up and "The Lonely Guy" in a discount dvd bin in a department store. Enjoyed it a lot once again. Steve Martin steals the show, of course. He has a lot of hilarious one liners like, "Good plan!" and "the little fireman", but his physical humor is the best thing. Lily Tomlin plays a woman who ends up inside Steve Martin's body and controls half of it. Martin is absolutely incredible at how he can manuever his body in scenes where Tomlin is trying to go the opposite direction that he wants to. It's both hilarious and amazing to watch. This time I thought of Jim Carrey in "The Mask" (Carrey's wild movements and energy). Other than Carrey, I don't think anyone else could have pulled off those "All of Me" scenes like Steve Martin did.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Steve Martin is truly a genius. I have the SNL Best of Steve Martin, and his appearance on TMS is one of my favorites. I also really like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (a Frank Oz film). His playing the role of Michael Caine's "special" brother is absolutely unforgettable.

I was in the middle of watching Don Juan Demarco today. From what I've seen, it looks promising.

I also recently saw The Life and Death of Peter Sellers. I realized when watching it that I've never seen any of the Pink Panthers all the way through (though according to TLADOPS Sellers hated the films). If TLADOPS is accurate, then he was actually a huge jerk who may deserve accolades for his comedy and acting but certainly not for his personal and behind-the-scenes behavior. I was inspired to go out and rent Pink Panther just to finally be able to say I've seen it.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Ooh, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, I love love LOVE that movie. When I went to New York, I got to see the musical version, and I was flipping out as I was already a huge fan of the movie. Well, lemme tell you, the musical is HILARIOUS! Great and funny music.

As for the Pink Panther, I've seen it SO many times, but never the end. I always fall asleep before the end!!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
I also really like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (a Frank Oz film). His playing the role of Michael Caine's "special" brother is absolutely unforgettable.
Yes I really liked that movie a lot too. Caine is a great actor too so we get two wonderful actors in a very entertaining movie. LOVED that ending scene with Caine and Martin watching (in astonishment) the plane flying away! "Planes,Trains and Automobiles" with Martin and Candy was also superb. But there's something about the style of Martin's earliest movies that appeals to me the most of all.
And yes that was neat that Frank Oz directed "Scoundrels". What an amazing multi-talented man he is. He directed other really good movies too, like "The Indian in the Cupboard" (loved hearing his cameo of the principal on the school speaker system), "What about Bob?" and the remake of "Little Shop of Horrors". By the way, "Little Shop of Horrors" was always a good pick-me-up movie for me. And Steve Martin has that awesome "I am a dentist" song in it! :smile:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
I forgot all about that whole scene! Definitely the most memorable in the whole movie, I think. I agree with you about Martin's earliest films, though. The Jerk will always remain one of the greatest comedies ever made.

I guess that does bring me to this question, though:
Is there a Director's Cut version of The Jerk on DVD? I've thought about it but have never seen one. I've seen a version on TV that has a lot more charity seekers such as one who wants to buy an iceberg and one who wants leather seats in his plane because he currently has to cover his seats with towels (Steve's reaction to this news is howlingly funny, as I recall). Every video I have seen does not include these scenes, though.

Hey, MrsPepper, who starred in the musical? I never knew it existed.