Last Book you Read Thread

peachesncream

Reaction score
if you like 1984 you should try and read a brave new world by aldous huxley. one of my favorites.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I just finished reading The Watsons go to Bermingham (or something to that nature) in school. It was pretty good, funny, and I'm a bit shocked that my teacher read the part with a naughty 3 letter word out-loud

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Son of a Witch, and I am just about to read "Without You" by Anthony Rapp (i went to his book lecture/signing this past Saturday in San Francisco).

peachesncream

Reaction score
without you is awesome.very moving.i was reading charlie and the great glass elevator but i somehow lost it.waiting to see if it'll turn up.

superfan

Reaction score
Currently about a fifth of the way through Sarum by Edward Rutherford. (BIG book) Incredible account of the history of England dating back to the Ice Age to present day.
It's all based on factual accounts of history but with a ficticious family in which he traces their ancestry from the past to now.
Love it.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I said I was going to start listing my books as I read them. Well I've just finished one. A while ago I bought a small cardboard box from St.Vincent de Paul's full of Reader's Digest Condensed Books volumes and I've slowly finished reading through one of them. I love RD Condensed Novels because since I have significantly curbed my swearing habit with the assistance of God they are very helpful to me. Even though they still contain some minor swear words they are generally good in that when they condense a novel they edit out any really major offensive swearing and that is good for someone in my position.:smile:

Here are the stories I have read:
The Client by John Grisham
Mark Sway is eleven years old. He's a normal kid, just like any other kid in his neighbourhood. He likes to ride his bike with his little brother, Ricky, and play games in the woods behind his house. He even likes school-a little.
So what could an everyday kid like Mark Sway know about murder? Plenty.
Home Ground by Hugh Miller
Megan Roberts has chosen her life, and it suits her. She's a district nurse, living on her own in a small Welsh mining village. She has a dog named Scratch and a fierce dedication to her profession. She needs and wants nothing more.
Or so she's told herself for years. But then a cry for help comes from an old and cherished friend, and Megan finds herself back on home ground, back where it all began. It was here that she once loved and lost. Now she must ask herself if she will ever risk loving again.
Elephant Song by Wilbur Smith
Daniel Armstrong has returned to his beloved Africa to make a film about the plight of its magnificent elephant herds. In Chiwewe National Park he meets Ambassador Ning Cheng Gong, and beneath the ambassador's urbane exterior, Daniel senses an almost inhuman passion-a burning lust for ivory. All too soon, Daniel's suspicions are brutally confirmed, and he is caught up in a conspiracy of greed stretching from London to Taiwan to the heart of Africa.
Wilbur Smith's gripping novel features an unforgettable cast: poachers, traders, a ruthless tycoon, a power-hungry despot and a remarkable tribe of forest-dwelling pygmies. In the midst of them all, Daniel Armstrong finds himself involved with two beautiful, strong-willed, but utterly different women...
Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief by Dorothy Gilman
Mrs. Pollifax is back! This time she's on her way to Sicily-a magic land of sun-drenched olive trees and ancient ruins. The CIA has received an urgent SOS from one of its people. So naturally they pluck their favourite part-time agent from her garden club in New Jersey and pack her off to Palermo. Her mission? To track down a document allegedly signed by Julius Ceasar. The Julius Ceasar. But as things happen, Mrs. Pollifax is soon in the middle of another mystery-one in which her old skills at foiling villains and dodging bullets are needed lickety-split.

I hope the brief descriptions may inspire some of you to read them sometime whether you find Condensed volumes or the original full versions. They are all magnificent stories. More to come when I finish another volume:wink:

F

furryredmonster

I'm currently on The Mark, the eighth book in the left behind series and I'm half way through it.

superfan

Reaction score
Over halfway through Sarum now. England has just recovered from the Black Plague. People are doubting the church. Businesses are booming. For now...

I may tackle Roots next.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I have finally finished reading through a second volume of Reader's Digest Condensed Books. Here are the new stories I have read:

The Chamber by John Grisham
For Sam Cayhall the waiting is almost over.
For nine and a half years he has been sitting on death row while his lawyers tried every possible legal manoeuvre to postpone his appointment with the Mississippi gas chamber.
Now Sam's time is up. His latest appeal has been rejected, and the date for his execution has been set.
And Sam is ready. He's tired of fighting, tired of prison, tired of a life he'll be happy to leave behind.
But not yet. For Sam is about to meet a brash young lawyer, Adam Hall, who's set on making one last effort to save him from the chamber.
Hidden Riches by Nora Roberts
Jed and Dora are worlds apart.
Jed's an ex-cop hiding from his troubled past. All he wants is to be left alone.
Dora owns a popular antiques shop. She loves people and noisy parties.
So they're both surprised to discover a smouldering attraction for one another. And when Dora becomes the target of an unscrupulous collector, Jed's instincts are to protect her. The trouble is, he's not sure which he's more afraid of: losing Dora- or loving her.
Deadeye by Sam Llewellyn
In the dead of night, mysterious boats ply Scotland's west coast. They move silent and unseen, for in spite of the dangers of darkness and fog, these ghostly vessels show no lights. What is their treacherous mission?
Harry Frazer, amateur sailor and professional lawyer, will risk his life to find the answer...
The Acorn Winter by Elizabeth Webster
It was hard enough when Beth Halliday lost her husband, but now her young son has died too, taking with him her last hope of happiness. As the golden autumn overtakes the English countryside, Beth struggles to overcome her unbearable grief. Then, in the dead of winter, when she least expects it, she is given another chance to love again- if only she is brave enough to reach out and take it.

These condensed novels really take hold on me. I find I just have to keep slowly reading them to find out how each one turns out. I've made a start on my third volume already. So I'll tell you all about it when I eventually finish it too.:excited: