Kids touching puppets!

shtick

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been a long while since I last posted.

I've recently started a new project that involves live up close interaction with kids. Most of the stuff I've done was filmed or on stage.

In my focus groups I've noticed kids are always touching the puppets, an obviously undesirable thing to say the least. any tips as to how to preface this without being a party pooper and or killing the "magic"?

:confused:

shtick

Reaction score
okay, I guess noboday has anything to say about this?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Some alternatives can be:

Perform the puppet standing up, don't go at the kids level- kids can't touch the puppet if it is out of reach.

Build two identical puppets- one being of lower quality. That way kids can touch the lower version all they want and you don't have to worry about damage.

Make certain the people you are performing for have clear rules that they must follow at the beginning of your performance. You don't have to be an authoritarian...explain the rules in a song, or in a funny monologue.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I remember hearing that Kevin Clash had a set of rules that Elmo uses to keep kids from touching him when he interacts with the kids. Does anyone remember what he does?

shtick

Reaction score
Kevin Clash's "No Touch" rules?

Really? Wow. I'd love to find out if anyone knows!

shtick

Reaction score
BUMP.

Anyone know about Kevin Clash's set of rules that Melonpool was talkin about?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I don't know the secret rule, but I just tell the kids that puppets can't take baths like we can, so when we touch them, they get dirty--and they have to last a really long time...usually I offer it so I can beat them to the punch.

"Would you like to give the puppet a gentle hug?" ("uhh ok") "Good, but make sure you don't touch his face so he doesn't get really dirty, okay?"

Or you can have the puppet tell the kids to back off or he'll haunt them in their sleep if they put their grubby little paws all over his nice new shirt.

puppetise

Reaction score
Or you can have the puppet tell the kids to back off or he'll haunt them in their sleep if they put their grubby little paws all over his nice new shirt.
that made me fall of the chair in laughter:insatiable::crazy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Forget kids, what about adults touching puppets? I've noticed that they can be even more disrespectful - tugging at and touching puppets. That's one selling point of puppetry over CG is that it actually exists and can be touched, but that is not an invitation. In situations with over eager or thoughtless adults, is a puppet just to scream "bad touch" until the individual backs away? Heck, I would. :eek: